The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question on mechanics..do you bag a missed handoff from the QB to the RB? I know the spot of enforcement is still going to be the previous spot except for a foul by A behind the basic spot. Is there any other reason to bag a muff or fumble behind the L/S?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, simply because you have to form a habit of dropping the bean bag. You're correct that on such a play, we would go back to the previous spot. But why question yourself, "Was that behind the LOS?" Just drop the bag and sort it out later. It's much better than not dropping one and realizing later the the ball wasn't fumbled behind the LOS. It's just beneficial to form good habits.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ted,
I'm taking the exact opposite position on your question.
You study the rules hard and you follow them as best you can. That all pays off when it comes time to make the move up the ladder. Same goes with mechanics, you should study them just as hard if not harder and that includes proper use of a tool call the bean bag.
It demonstrates you know what you are doing when you use it properly. To just toss/drop/throw bean bags about for no purpose shows the official is clueless when it comes to mechanics. It takes no time to figure it out. You'll make a few errors along the way, but you'll be getter off in the long run.
There are maybe only ten situations to drop a bag, learn them and use the bag only in those situations. Bad habits should not be tolerated.

The next time to see the ref toss a 10-yarder on a QB muff of a snap, you can at least sit back and say "he has no clue".
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey

The next time to see the ref toss a 10-yarder on a QB muff of a snap, you can at least sit back and say "he has no clue".
I disagree. Officials who throw a beanbag when a kick is muffed or when a pass is intercepted at the 50 yardline have no clue. Our associations, state and local, want to see a beanbag on the ground anytime there's a fumble. I've cited just a few of the reasons. What happens on that occasion when the beanbag isn't dropped, the fumble actually was beyond the LOS and suddenly a yellow flag takes flight?

To each his own.

Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe this points out a significant problem with mechanics training in your organization from top to bottom. Especially if these officials are bagging muffed kicks.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I do take it the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe this points out a significant problem with mechanics training in your organization from top to bottom. Especially if these officials are bagging muffed kicks.
You need to re-read my post. I said that "Officials who throw a beanbag when a kick is muffed or when a pass is intercepted at the 50 yardline have no clue." That was in response to your statement about officials throwing bags behind the LOS not having a clue. With regards to our state and local associations, I said they want to see a beanbag anytime there's a fumble.

Without all due resepct, I find it rather inapprorpiate for you to point fingers at two associations, based on one thing that we do differently, when you know absolutely nothing else about us.

Old Tue Sep 18, 2001, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Just look at the reason you drop a beanbag. Generally, under NFHS rules, a beanbag is dropped to mark the spot where player possession is lost.

That would include the QB losing control on a handoff, a runner fumbling, a receiver fumbling the ball in the run after the catch.

You do not need to drop a beanbag for any loose ball play where possession changes, interception, reception of a scrimmage kick. Exception would be first touching by K of a scrimmage kick. R will have the opportunity to choose the spot of first touching.

Wingmen might want to drop the beanbag when contacted by K in an onside kick within or near the neutral zone to mark the spot of first touching.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2001, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Wingmen might want to drop the beanbag when contacted by K in an onside kick within or near the neutral zone to mark the spot of first touching.
We always drop a beanbag when we have first touching by R, unless of course, it's KCI. Then we have a flag if touched and a whistle as well if it's caught.