The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I know where the officials manual mentions bagging. First touch by K, etc.

I would like to know where else which may not have been mentioned are also good places to drop a bean bag. Thanks.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 10:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
I know where the officials manual mentions bagging. First touch by K, etc.

I would like to know where else which may not have been mentioned are also good places to drop a bean bag. Thanks.
I bag for momentum exception, a fumble, first touching, PSK, and when I need a spot and I need to go with the players. Maybe more places, but those are what come to mind.

As an R, I bag most frequently when the quarterback gets sacked and there's a progress line I have to get. I need to stay with the quarterback, so I bag that spot.

Worked with a guy who bagged interceptions last week (just like they do on TV!). One of my pet peeves as that spot has no meaning whatsoever in the HS game. We bag on fumbles because that's the end of the associated run and can be used on penalty enforcement.

--Rich
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Worked with a guy who bagged interceptions last week (just like they do on TV!). One of my pet peeves as that spot has no meaning whatsoever in the HS game.
Just out of curiosity, do you know why the NFL requires a bag on int. spots?
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
Worked with a guy who bagged interceptions last week (just like they do on TV!). One of my pet peeves as that spot has no meaning whatsoever in the HS game.
It can be an enforcement spot after a change of possession under certain conditions. What those conditions are, I couldn't tell you.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Another bean bag pet peev! I see Refs dropping a bean bag when a snap goes over a punters head or over a QB in shotgun formation. There should not be a bean bag as loss of possession occured at the previous spot. There is no "end of run."
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by actmiller
Another bean bag pet peev! I see Refs dropping a bean bag when a snap goes over a punters head or over a QB in shotgun formation. There should not be a bean bag as loss of possession occured at the previous spot. There is no "end of run."
What spot do they bag?
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Bag the passer position if he is releasing the pass after a scramble and near the LOS. Use it to help determine the legality of his pass.

I also hate the bagging of the interception in NF. Especially when the jerk needs to run back 50 yards to get his bag the forward 70 yds to be a BJ.

Wingman bagging technique: Drop the bag at your feet on the proper yardline for a fumble. Throwing into the center of the field towards the fumbler reduces the accuracy of your spot and makes retrieveing the bag more difficult. The benefit of throwing it towards the fumbler, is that it alerts your crew mates that the ball is loose.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Bean bags first and foremost should be used to inicate a potential enforcement spot. Spot of the fumble or backward pass (grounded) beyond the LOS, PSK, momemtum, first touching, (NF). (I think that's all) These situations should be mandatory!

Any other use of the bag is purely communication to other officials and I consider them optional. A fumble behind the LOS, muffed snaps, ... are not inforcement spots but may prevent an inadverted whisle. One time that is a no-no to me is when R is first to touch a scrimmage kick, it can be confused with first touching by K.

There are to many times a young official drops a bean bag because they saw it on TV (NCAA or NFL) but have no idea why.

Sjoldguy : Why do you bag interceptions (NF)?
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
Statistics.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Dumbref,

I'll restrain myself for making a pun about your name here. You misread my comment. I don't beanbag spots of interception. I was agreeing with some other comments in this string that said they hated the officials use of the bean bag in this manner. I order an official on the field with me to stop. He was doing end of scrimmage kicks also and this was 10 years before the NF put in PSK enforcement rules. Reread my comment, I was calling the officials that did it JERKS!
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

My bad on the mis-read and I've been called worse. That other thing I hate is 4 bags marking the same spot and they are 10 yards apart. We are stressing only the covering official should bag.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Hi again dumdref,

It is ok. Did you see my suggestion about the wingmen just dropping their bag at their feet. Not only is it more accurate and easy to retrieve, it is much less visible and you won't see 4 bags marking spots that are on yardlines 10 yards apart.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

That is our mechanic in Alabama. And I agree, the yard line is the only thing important. It is also the "spot" of the fumble - not where you saw it loose!
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

This list should cover most of the bean bag situations (NCAA):

http://www.tech.port.ac.uk/staffweb/...chs11/bean.htm

This is from the previous version of our mechanics manual, but we still bean bag receivers going out of bounds. Our hats stay on!