The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

1961 NFL Title game- touchback rules

I was watching the 1961 title game between the Packers and Giants on You Tube and saw an interesting play before 1/2 time. The Giants, on 4th down on about the Packer's 7 had an incomplete pass in the end zone to Kyle Rote.

The officials set the ball at the 20 where the Packers took over. Does anyone know how the rules might have changed for touchbacks in the NFL?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 04:40pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjacobs View Post
I was watching the 1961 title game between the Packers and Giants on You Tube and saw an interesting play before 1/2 time. The Giants, on 4th down on about the Packer's 7 had an incomplete pass in the end zone to Kyle Rote.

The officials set the ball at the 20 where the Packers took over. Does anyone know how the rules might have changed for touchbacks in the NFL?
Assuming that the officials aren't going to botch something like that in the title game, I imagine that a turnover on downs is at least a touchback.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You mean when it changed to that, or changed from that?

As to when it changed from that, it was no later than 1974, might've been 1972. No earlier than 1970.

As to when it changed to that, I'm trying to remember if they inherited that from NCAA. I think they might've, and then NCAA changed it much earlier than NFL.

Another bit of "fun" was that until some time in the 1960s in the NFL, a forward pass from behind the passing team's goal line produced a dead ball and safety if it touched the goal structure.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2011, 12:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

The rule changed some time in the very early 70's. The rule at the time of the '61 title game was that any 4th down pass thrown incomplete in or through the opponents end zone resulted in a touchback and the ball placed at the 20 for change of possession.