The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

WCC Title game in LV

Watching the WCC title game and now I know what tomegun and others are talking about. These guys are all over the place and generally more animated than most crews I've ever seen.

Just as an example I saw the trail hop right out of the picture (16x9 HD mind you) into the backcourt while the play is going toward the basket.

Then I saw the C one time end his closely guarded count by chopping in time?

Is it normal for the trail to point the other way after a made basket?

Cudos to them for getting where they are at but I bet it wouldn't fly in most places.

Also to answer the inevitable question of "Well do they get the plays right" all I can say is there have been a higher number of head scratchers than normal from the comfort of my easy chair.

Last edited by eyezen; Mon Mar 08, 2010 at 10:55pm.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 12:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Did you see the Lead signal a shot clock violation even though the C was already on top of the play?
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tommy "THE GUN" Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy "THE GUN"
You just gota love basketball! Only us refs would pick up all these quarks! LOL!
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 04:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Did you see the Lead signal a shot clock violation even though the C was already on top of the play?
Do you have a problem with the Lead signaling a shot clock violation? According to the mechanics, that is OK.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

fanboy Time!

Who cares about all of this?? The important thing is that SMC, my alma mater, throttled the hated Zags and is in the Dance. Now Sweating selection sunday and no Joe Lunardi bubble watch this week. GO GAELS!!!!!

PS Samhan deserved the whack he got but the officials missed whacking Sacre to for his participation imo
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 08:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Do you have a problem with the Lead signaling a shot clock violation? According to the mechanics, that is OK.

Peace
Only when the 'C' has clearly made the call already and the Lead is jumping up and down on one foot to signal his.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Watching the WCC title game and now I know what tomegun and others are talking about. These guys are all over the place and generally more animated than most crews I've ever seen.

Just as an example I saw the trail hop right out of the picture (16x9 HD mind you) into the backcourt while the play is going toward the basket.

Then I saw the C one time end his closely guarded count by chopping in time?

Is it normal for the trail to point the other way after a made basket?

Cudos to them for getting where they are at but I bet it wouldn't fly in most places.

Also to answer the inevitable question of "Well do they get the plays right" all I can say is there have been a higher number of head scratchers than normal from the comfort of my easy chair.
The older guy, Dick Cartmell, has worked 2 NCAA Championship games in the past 5 years. Should we be more concerned with the crews play calling and game management skill and less about how they "look"?
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 11:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Only when the 'C' has clearly made the call already and the Lead is jumping up and down on one foot to signal his.
The reason I asked is because it is common to see multiple officials signal a shot clock violation. I have seen in some cases all 3 officials signal this. From my understanding this is not like a last second shot, who ever sees this can call it.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
The older guy, Dick Cartmell, has worked 2 NCAA Championship games in the past 5 years. Should we be more concerned with the crews play calling and game management skill and less about how they "look"?
I've already addressed that. Did you not read my last sentence? You quoted it.

IMHO they didn't handle the Tech properly, they missed the taunting by the Gonzaga player (game management).

At times IMHO they hopped their way out of position - for instance see my example (play calling).

Those are but two examples...

Last edited by eyezen; Tue Mar 09, 2010 at 11:45am.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
How they "look" is a big part of how they sell their calls and manage the game. IMHO, we should be concerned with how we look... Showboating is for the players who want to get themselves on ESPN.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 01:18pm
Huck Finn

I just think it isn't in the best interest for basketball when officials are doing things that move them out of the best position. IMO, this is done to "look" like they are hustling and into the game. It is false hustle and I've been at camps where film was broken down showing several missed calls.

The question is, do we gloss over this because of the amount of high profile games they are getting? What about campers who try to immitate these actions and are told they are out of position - "Hello kettle, my name is pot."

Officials in other parts of the country - big name D1 officials - don't have respect for west coast officials because of things like this.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I just think it isn't in the best interest for basketball when officials are doing things that move them out of the best position. IMO, this is done to "look" like they are hustling and into the game. It is false hustle and I've been at camps where film was broken down showing several missed calls.

The question is, do we gloss over this because of the amount of high profile games they are getting? What about campers who try to immitate these actions and are told they are out of position - "Hello kettle, my name is pot."

Officials in other parts of the country - big name D1 officials - don't have respect for west coast officials because of things like this.

Could not agree more! However, I don't believe its confined to the West Coast. It's all over the joint, and I know I'm gonna catch he!! for this, but it's primarily on the men's side that we are seeing all these antics and fake attempts to look like they are "working." There I said it! lol
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 02:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Thanks to you Tom I've paid more attention to this when watching games. I have a supervisor who makes a big deak out of standing still and seeing the play. I liked how calm Stripes and his crew look in this thread.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

1. Evaluators are concerned about how WE look. But there is an exception to/for "old timers" and that is fine. It just seems now that there is an effort to carve out cookie cutter officials. Everyone has the same look, same build, same movements. As for me I like to see officials who LOOK like they are enjoying what they are doing. But I am also a happy go lucky sort of guy!
2. The reason West Coast officials have a bad reputation isn't the mechanics, its the surf boards the CA refs show up with on the back of their cars!!!\
3. Since none of us was there, and we .......oh wait, wrong thread, but I am learning!!!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

The game was officiated by 3 NCAA tournament officials: Dick Cartmell, Mark Reischling, and Ken Ditty.

While they probably would agree their game wasn't perfect, I think we need to support our brothers in arms rather than criticize their positioning.

That was a hardfought, physical basketball game. Had there not been 3 officials that the coaches respected, it could have been a melee.