The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Helping the runner??

Here's another video I did.

The 1st part of the video just shows an illegal formation. The only reason I stuck it in there is because the LJ called this foul. Alot of folks think that the umpire is the only one to call that foul. I disagree. In this case, you see wideout on the line and everything is cool. Then he shifts into the backfield and nobody comes up onto the line. By the time all this happened, the umpire was no longer looking out to the wings for guys up on the line. But the LJ was very focused and called this, good job I think.

Then you'll see a player who is ruled down short of the goal line. Another good call, especially when you see the replay. You can see where his knee hits. But the next thing we see is a helping the runner call.I'm the referee and I called this one. The TV crew forgot to bring the microphone on this night. So, you'll see me talking, but can't hear it. Anyway, I've had some criticism on this call. A couple of my elders feel that perhaps I should've passed on this call. I'll go and tell ya, I still feel real good about this call. In fact, I just think its a classic example of helping the runner. This foul is not something I go looking for. In 12 years of officiating I have probably only called helping the runner 2 or 3 times. But when I see it, I know it.

With all that being said, I know that you guys won't hold back. You'll tell me what you REALLY think about it. And thats exactly what I want. I will tell you this (not that it matters much) but the team scored on the very next play.

YouTube - illegal formation

Thanks guys!!!
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

The first part is illegal formation. They only have 6 on the LOS. Question for you. Why does your U call this penalty? I'm on my 3 year as HL and have been taught that is the linemen's call. They are the ones looking across the line. Is this just the way your crew or assn. does it?

I think that is a great call for aiding the runner. Two hands into the runners back is an easy call. Much like Reggie Bush helping Mr. Linart.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
The first part is illegal formation. They only have 6 on the LOS. Question for you. Why does your U call this penalty? I'm on my 3 year as HL and have been taught that is the linemen's call. They are the ones looking across the line. Is this just the way your crew or assn. does it?

I think that is a great call for aiding the runner. Two hands into the runners back is an easy call. Much like Reggie Bush helping Mr. Linart.
Well, in our assoc. the umpire is taught to look out at the wings and see their on/off signals. With this info, he can then make a judgement on how many we have on the line. But I always go over this in pre-game. I believe its a joint responsibility with the L,LJ and U all having a stake in it. I'll say this, the umpire calls this foul 99% of the time.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Play 1- Our LOS officials are responsible for this and if there are not 7 on the LOS, both H and L will have a flag down. I can't imagine an Umpire being given this responsibility since he should be looking for 11 A players, 5 numbered 50-79 and focusing on the G-C-G.

Play 2- Good job by the L for getting the spot short of the GL.

Play 3- Legitimate helping the runner foul.

Good job, Doc. Thanks for sharing. Keep 'em coming.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

What the heck was wrong with those announcers? Agreeing 100% with your helping the runner call? Has no one told them that they are supposed to be ignorant and accusatory when you call such a rare foul?

Count me in with those wondering why a U would ever call illegal formation for less than seven men on the line. Seems like a very easy thing for the L and LJ to call, allowing the U to keep his focus on the snapper, linemen and free blocking zone.

Good job on all three plays, though.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Your crew nailed all three calls. Regarding the assisting the runner: I bet the "elders" said something about how the guy was going to score no matter what, his linemen had a great push going and the assistance was not the reason he scored. But I say this is what that rule is intended for, good job.

As for the U calling illegal formation, I disagree and so does the NFHS Officials Manual:
UMPIRE
A. After the ball is spotted:
2. Check the following:
a. Number of A players
b. Five players numbered 50 through 79 on offensive line
c. Interference with the snap, a false start or encroachment
d. Disconcerting signals by B
e. Note position of ball between inbounds lines
f. Note B's players on the LOS in the FBZ
LINESMEN
A. After ball is spotted:
5. Check the following:
d. Minimum of seven offensive players on the LOS
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullycon View Post
What the heck was wrong with those announcers? Agreeing 100% with your helping the runner call? Has no one told them that they are supposed to be ignorant and accusatory when you call such a rare foul?
I was impressed that the announcers seemed to know the foul based on the preliminary signal. Maybe they had a signal chart in front of them...
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

That U must have tremendous depth perception.

I've never heard of the U watching for that. As mentioned above, he should be worrying about G-C-G, snap infractions, etc.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Outstanding spot calling the runner short of the goalline.

As for the assisting the runner foul. I would say technically it was proper but I didn't see any power behind that fullback pushing the QB in the endzone. The line drove the D-line off the ball and the QB easily in.

I know, I know...a couple have said easy call which I guess puts an end to discussion but in my mind that was a bit too technical a call.

Let the lashing begin.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFarns View Post
Outstanding spot calling the runner short of the goalline.

As for the assisting the runner foul. I would say technically it was proper but I didn't see any power behind that fullback pushing the QB in the endzone. The line drove the D-line off the ball and the QB easily in.

I know, I know...a couple have said easy call which I guess puts an end to discussion but in my mind that was a bit too technical a call.

Let the lashing begin.
No lashing from me. I wanted ALL comments. I can tell you this, I know I've missed some in my career. Anyone who even thinks they haven't missed a call is way arrogant. But I do think I get more right than wrong. Would the QB have scored without the RB pushing him in? He might have. But we'll never know for sure, because the RB did push him in.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Just because assisting the runner is so infrequently called (or ignored), the assisting would have to be blatant and out in the open for me to call it.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with bossman. I would need to see a lot more "help" before I'm going to call assisting the runner. I'm also amazed that an associtation is teaching their Umpires to call illegal formation with only 6 on the line. I never look wide to see where the receivers are. That is such an easy call for the wing officials.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 02:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMooreReferee View Post
Here's another video I did.

The 1st part of the video just shows an illegal formation. The only reason I stuck it in there is because the LJ called this foul. Alot of folks think that the umpire is the only one to call that foul. I disagree. In this case, you see wideout on the line and everything is cool. Then he shifts into the backfield and nobody comes up onto the line. By the time all this happened, the umpire was no longer looking out to the wings for guys up on the line. But the LJ was very focused and called this, good job I think.

Then you'll see a player who is ruled down short of the goal line. Another good call, especially when you see the replay. You can see where his knee hits. But the next thing we see is a helping the runner call.I'm the referee and I called this one. The TV crew forgot to bring the microphone on this night. So, you'll see me talking, but can't hear it. Anyway, I've had some criticism on this call. A couple of my elders feel that perhaps I should've passed on this call. I'll go and tell ya, I still feel real good about this call. In fact, I just think its a classic example of helping the runner. This foul is not something I go looking for. In 12 years of officiating I have probably only called helping the runner 2 or 3 times. But when I see it, I know it.

With all that being said, I know that you guys won't hold back. You'll tell me what you REALLY think about it. And thats exactly what I want. I will tell you this (not that it matters much) but the team scored on the very next play.

YouTube - illegal formation

Thanks guys!!!
CANADIAN MECHANICS:

The LJ would flag his eligible leaving the LS which created the illegal formation.

The R would flag the Tandem Buck by the RB.

Both excellent calls.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Just because assisting the runner is so infrequently called (or ignored), the assisting would have to be blatant and out in the open for me to call it.
I called one last year from my R position. QB keeps the ball. Diminutive tailback pushes him with both hands. Pretty easy call. As the tailback was running off the field, I overheard the coach say, "Who are you, Reggie Bush?"
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Doc, once again thanks for the video. I think you guys nailed all three. Great call on helping the runner. Replay shows even more the effect of the push. I have never called this, but I would if it was obvious to me. As a mechanic we might tune our eyes to be looking for it on short yardage or goal line siuations especially.

Our terminal officials call the illegal formation and like others here I have never seen a U flag it..but as I tell my crew, as long as we get it right I really don't care who flags it!