The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I was wondering how many people, or better yet how often to most people call the helping the runner penalty (at what level, when, etc.). Reason asking is because Friday my WH threw the flag for the penalty (after looking at the tape it clearly fits the definition and the Offense gained an illegal advantage {be it only a small one}) I wouldn't have much problem with it but it was a 2nd half, team thats down by 1 TD, around opp 30 yl, 4th and 1 and the contact was after about 2 yds of gain (so the illegal contact really had no influence on the BIG PICTURE of the play). So would you let this go in this situation with above variables or would you go by the letter of the rule, or warn offender, or maybe call it easier at different time of game? thanks!
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
I was wondering how many people, or better yet how often to most people call the helping the runner penalty (at what level, when, etc.). Reason asking is because Friday my WH threw the flag for the penalty (after looking at the tape it clearly fits the definition and the Offense gained an illegal advantage {be it only a small one}) I wouldn't have much problem with it but it was a 2nd half, team thats down by 1 TD, around opp 30 yl, 4th and 1 and the contact was after about 2 yds of gain (so the illegal contact really had no influence on the BIG PICTURE of the play). So would you let this go in this situation with above variables or would you go by the letter of the rule, or warn offender, or maybe call it easier at different time of game? thanks!
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

In my very 1st varsity game the film was sent in on me for missing this call. At the Monday meeting the president called me into a classroom and turned on the VCR. I thought UH-OH! The game was 14-7 at the time and by me not seeing the tight end help the RB into the endzone made the score 21-7. I was told the head coach was red hot when he saw the film. Even though it was on my side the play went thru the 6 hole and the TE had his back to me. He basically grabbed the shoulders of the back and pulled him. From my viewpoint it was difficult to see because I was screened but 3 stories up from the press box at a great camera angle showed the officials missed the call. And...guess who got blamed? Referee had the best view but he was a 25-year veteran. Who do you think they're gonna blame? The rookie baby! I was told to never blow this call again. I have never called this in a varsity game but wouldn't hesitate if an advantage was gained, even if "most people" don't call it and it appears "picky."
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jrfath
In the past couple years, I have flagged this on average 2-3 times per year in varsity games. I work linesman. If a definite advantage is gained by an A players pushing/piling into the back of the runner and yardage is gained, I don't hesitate to flag it.

If I can and the advantage gained is little, I try to tell the "helper" that he can not push his runner forward.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: My crew has called this exactly once in the 26 years we've been together. Extremely obvious. And, in my mind, that's what it needs to be. Just because some offensive players are pushing the pile forward isn't enough; I would need to see them pushing (or pulling) the runner forward. The play that ljudge described certainly appeared to be 'obvious' although it was missed. But it was his first varsity game. We'll forgive him.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Bob M. must be very obvious. If the runner is struggling that badly, rule forward progress has ended and blow it dead. After that, pulling and pushing the runner is not factor.

I know, what if the player is holding the runner up? That would fall under the very obvious category.