The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

Training Course Material (Format)

I've got a younger, newly formed crew who worked sub-varsity games this year. We will begin working varsity games on Friday nights in 2010. Beginning in January, we will meet monthly to review rules and such.

Our past meetings have lacked format and structure and I was wondering if anyone here might have some advice or suggested schedule for topics.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 10:11am
Chain of Fools

If you are starting in January, how long and how many times do you intend to meet? The Federation doesn't even release rule changes until February so I'm not so sure that I wouldn't wait for their summary to be released and start up in March.

Since you are sub-varsity at this moment, I doubt that you would have much, if any, video to review. If you do, I'd begin with a review of the past season with round-table discussion of plays. If you have no video, you can still recap the past season with discussion of play situations that came up in your games. You could also review some of the videos from USA Football, the Federation's website, and some that can be located on Refstripes.com

When the new rule changes are released, I'd go over them and their potential applications. Once the rule books are released, assign rule chapters to each crew member to present and discuss at a meeting. Most of the time, our referees will take Rule 10 for themselves.

Somewhere in there, I'd have a meeting about the coming year, your plans for pre-game, travel, locations to meet-up.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

We will be meeting monthly in January-August. I want to do rules study mainly and discussion. We don't have any film of ourselves, but we will could get film of other crews working.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Video

Go to USA Football and get this video for study as a crew:

Welcome to the USA Football Shop

I have it and it is VERY good. It's video of HS ball and it's narrated. Go through a section of it each month. Also, look for clinics that USA Football puts on. They will show up in their web site. It would be a good thing for your entire crew to attend one not only for the information but a great bonding experience for the crew. I went to one in Green Bay and they had breakout sessions by position. Bill Lemonnier, a Big Ten white hat and Tony Mihalek, an NFL umpire put it on and I learned a lot!

Monthly meetings in the off season is a great idea. Find camps next summer to attend as a crew. There is no substitute for experience and preparation!
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

If you really want to get guys into the book, here is a method that I use Give the guys 5-10 true/false questions and give them about a minute to answer each question. Then when you go through the questions, make them show you WHY they answered the way they did.

Here is an example: During a play from the B1 yard line, runner A1 jumps over the linemen that have piled up at the goal line and has one foot leading his body. A1 should be penalized for hurdling.

Don't accept the answer, "Because that's what it is". Teach them to look up the definition for runner, lineman, and then the rule cite for hurdling. You also should be willing to lead people down the wrong path and have them prove you wrong.

This method is very interactive and really gets people into the book. I've got questions for just about eevry aspect of the game. Send me a message if you're interested.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I applaud your desire to be keeping your crew thinking football and trying to make them as good as they can be.

I would argue that you should look more to working on mechanics than rules (at least until the Rule changes come out). Your crew can all be Rules geniuses, but if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time looking in the wrong place............?

If you have no film of yourselves, then get hold of film of anyone from any game. There must be some film that other guys in your local association can copy for you. Ideally you'd like film of experienced guys who know what they are doing, but equally film of some of the newer guys too. Pick out some plays that look interesting and then have a crew session reviewing them.

By interesting plays I don't only mean interesting from the perspective of the play itself or the Rules associated with it, I mean more that you should look at the mechanics of the officials and see if they are covering the play correctly. I was lucky enough to spend some time with Dick Honig a few years ago and watched over his shoulder as he reviewed game film. He was putting together a compilation film for his BigTen crew. He didn't watch film like I did. He watched the crew not the game. He watched each play several times watching one official at a time to check their individual mechanics. It completely changed the way I watch film.

Things to watch for..........

Do the crew box the play in?
Do the R and BJ work side to side or are wings left on their own on OOB plays?
Do the wings have "happy feet" and move all over the place too far and too quick or do they stand still when they should do, and let the play develop? Do they square off taking spots?
Is the clean up guy ball watching and thus mirroring the progress spot 1/100 of a second after the stop or is he correctly focussing 90% on players and 10% on progress?
Do the wings move side to side to keep their bodyshape square on to the field?
Does the HL look round for the front stick (heinous crime!) to see if the play made enough for a 1st down?
How good is the ball relay? Do the crew throw the ball too far? Do they do the ball relay too quick and take their attention off the dead ball action too soon?
PAT. Do they keep attention on the dead ball action? Does the R instantly turn to signal to the press box? Does the U turn round to see if the kick was good? Does the wings instantly start writing the score on their gamecards? Is ANYONE watching players?

Also think about the not so obvious crew mechanics issues.

Does everyone write down the details on a quarter change? If not why not? Better too many folks write it down than not enough and you screw up a quarter change.

If you have an injury delay or a team timeout, does your crew get set up for the next down straight away? Seems callous to be setting the ball and setting up for the next down while some injured kid is being treated on the field, but that is the sort of situation that helps you lose a down.

Ask your crew when during the dead time between downs they change their down marker on their finger. What is it set to on a free kick? What is it set to on a PAT? Do they change it every play?

Personally I set it to 4th on a PAT so I remember that PAT's have 4th down fumble rules too. I set it to 2nd or 3rd on a free kick, I don't want it remaining on 4th from the PAT attempt or a FG score or already set to 1st ready for the next play from scrimmage. I want to be forced to change it on every play,