The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Kick off question

let me run this one by you guys, K gets to kick from team R 30 yd line,(penalties from previous play from B) K pops the ball high and the ball travels 15 yds. to B's 15, one of K's players gets to the ball while the ball is still in air, and jumps for ball, R jumps also, k catches ball but while catching collides with R. No fair catch was called. Whats the rulling? Thanks
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

When you say k "pops the ball high", did it hit the ground and then pop high or did they kick it high? If it hit the ground, it is K's ball where they gained possession. If it did not hit the ground, you have kick-catching interference. R has the choice of an awarded fair catch the spot of the foul or penalize K 15 yards and rekick.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

no it did not hit the ground.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

jstafan: you seem to have some real interest in the rules of the game (as opposed to mere fan interest). Why not contact your local association, get a rule book, and pick up some stripes?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

This is a basic "kick catching interference". K cannot touch the ball on a free kick prior to the ball touching the ground or a R player.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Free Kick must go 10 yards and touch the ground before K can recover legally. If R touches it (unless R was blocked/pushed by K into the ball) before it goes 10 yards then K can recover.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

6-1-5 "...Any K player may recover a free kick if it has both touched the ground and goes beyond the plane of R’s free-kick line. The two requirements may occur in any order...."
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

thanks for the replys.
Quote:
you seem to have some real interest in the rules of the game (as opposed to mere fan interest). Why not contact your local association, get a rule book, and pick up some stripes?
mbyron, I'm thinking of doing just that, after reading all i can find, i actually didnt realize that this game I have been watching for so long is even more intersting when you start to realize all of the rules, I find myself saying alot "now i understand why they called that" and "I didnt know that". our football season is over for youth league and I would like to learn as much as posible for next season. again thank you all for your answers, I'm sure I'll be asking alot more questions.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstafan View Post
thanks for the replys. mbyron, I'm thinking of doing just that, after reading all i can find, i actually didnt realize that this game I have been watching for so long is even more intersting when you start to realize all of the rules, I find myself saying alot "now i understand why they called that" and "I didnt know that". our football season is over for youth league and I would like to learn as much as posible for next season. again thank you all for your answers, I'm sure I'll be asking alot more questions.
It's a great way to learn the game you love.....again!

I starting playing six man when I was seven and played all the way up to University. I then coached HS for a few years and had to learn the game all over again. All the skills I developed as a player then had to be explained to young men but I had to figure out why I did them in the first place....lots of "light bulbs" in those years. Then I was a "football dad" as my boys played the game and I enjoyed watching them learn the great lessons that the game can teach as well as all the great guys you meet along the way.

When I put the stripes on in my 40's I had to learn the game a third time....but now as an official. Quite frankly, I was stunned (and ashamed) at how little I knew about the rules. I kept thinking...."after this game being such a big part of my life for 40 years, how is it that I know almost nothing about it's rules?" Quite humbling actually, but not suprising I guess. When you're a player you concentrate on your skills and technique and your physical shape. When you're a coach you help others do the same as well as learn the strategy of the game. You know the basics of course, but not much detail...at least I didn't.

I find now that most coaches don't understand the rules to any great depth, but it doesn't stop them from telling us we've screwed up...part of the great football dance I guess. That's why I have a higher respect for coaches that do take the time to understand the rules (especially the timing under three minutes which can be a real advantage)...they themselves have progressed!

Good luck in your journey. Almost 50 years on a (65 yard wide) football field now for me....and the game never fails to surpise and entertain!
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

did anyone see the Navy - Notre Dame game? did you see the on side kick? shouldnt there have been a interference call there?
Quote:
ARTICLE 1. A player of the receiving team within the boundary lines attempting
to catch a kick, and so located that he could have caught a free kick or a scrimmage
kick that is beyond the neutral zone, must be given an unimpeded opportunity to
catch the kick (A.R. 6-3-1-III, A.R. 6-4-1-V and A.R. 6-4-1-X).
any thoughts?
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
did anyone see the Navy - Notre Dame game? did you see the on side kick? shouldnt there have been a interference call there? any thoughts?
I think that kick hit the ground first...
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

you must be right, although i looked many times and couldnt see anything. one of the things that get me about those type of kicks is that if you had listened to the anouncers they said that the only thing the kick had to do was travel 10 yds. thats where alot of us unknowning folks think we get "our good football knowledge" I now know with help from this fourm thats not the case. I think that anouncers probably have more impact on what people believe the rules to be then what they actually are.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
anouncers probably have more impact on what people believe the rules to be then what they actually are.
That's true of all reporting, not just sports.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
I think that kick hit the ground first...
As the technique for driving the ball, immediately off the tee, down into the ground in hopes that it bounces high over the reach of the receiver's "up" line has improved, it has enhanced the responsibility of the Linesman to focus on every Free Kick to determine if this has happened.

Once that grounded ball passes beyond the receivers Free Kick line it's a free ball, and the kicking team has every right to possess it. To the other officials legal action by the kickers can easily be misunderstood as Kick Catching Interference and draw a flag(s).

It is then the Linesman who must then advise, if the kick had been immediately grounds, which would negate any KCI flags assessed.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
As the technique for driving the ball, immediately off the tee, down into the ground in hopes that it bounces high over the reach of the receiver's "up" line has improved, it has enhanced the responsibility of the Linesman to focus on every Free Kick to determine if this has happened.

Once that grounded ball passes beyond the receivers Free Kick line it's a free ball, and the kicking team has every right to possess it. To the other officials legal action by the kickers can easily be misunderstood as Kick Catching Interference and draw a flag(s).

It is then the Linesman who must then advise, if the kick had been immediately grounds, which would negate any KCI flags assessed.
Linesman?
Our mechanics (NFHS) has the Head Linesman on the receiver's 30 yard line.
The Line Judge is on the receiver's restraining line and the Back Judge is on the kicker's line.