The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
Al,

I'm in NY, albeit LI, and I never heard that interpretation. It's at the end of 15 start the 3 minute immediately.
I agree that the 3 minute warm up should normally follow the 15 (or 20) minute intermissions, immediately, when both teams are present to partake in the warmup.

However, in as much as the emphasis is to allow all players a specific time for warmup, common sense dictates that if one of the teams has not returned to the field (which may well necessitate a foul being called), the intent appears that the players should still be afforded a full 3 minutes for warmup activities ( subject to the team's decision as to how that warm-up period may be used).
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

After having this happen in our second game this year, our referee emailed Wade Labecki at Stevens Point. We were directed that the three minutes are to be put on the clock immediately after halftime ends and the clock started. Flag the offending team. When they do show up, reset the clock to 3 minutes and restart it.
That's the way Wisconsin wants it done.
FYI
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 10:00am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisscott View Post
After having this happen in our second game this year, our referee emailed Wade Labecki at Stevens Point. We were directed that the three minutes are to be put on the clock immediately after halftime ends and the clock started. Flag the offending team. When they do show up, reset the clock to 3 minutes and restart it.
That's the way Wisconsin wants it done.
FYI
Wow, this could lead to some abuses by the coaches, if they knew they could get away with extending halftime.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Ohio has emphasized the importance of running the warm up period correctly. Don't start it until both teams are back, can't be canceled by coaches, etc. Liability concerns seem to be driving this attitude.
That's what we've been told in VA as well. If both teams are back before the clock runs out on halftime, then halftime can be shortened, but in that case we then set the clock to 3 minutes and run that. Halftime can be shortened, but the warmup can not be eliminated.

To (kind of) get backto a previous question I didn't see answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Related question: Can the "mandatory" 3 min. warm-up time be dropped "by the Home coaches"?? In our game Friday night, we got to the field with about 1 min. left on the intermission clock. The crew grabbed captains, and I told the rest of the guys to start the warm-up routine. One of the officials told us we didn't have the three min. because the home coach said his team was ready to go and didn't need it.
Halftime can be shortened by mutual agreement of both coaches, not by one side arbitrarily.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisscott View Post
After having this happen in our second game this year, our referee emailed Wade Labecki at Stevens Point. We were directed that the three minutes are to be put on the clock immediately after halftime ends and the clock started. Flag the offending team. When they do show up, reset the clock to 3 minutes and restart it.That's the way Wisconsin wants it done. FYI
I understand, and agree, the 3 minute warm up time should be put on the clock immediately after the conclusion of the intermission. I'm confused by starting that clock to run down before both teams are back on the field.

If one team is late, they earn a penalty, but they are still entitled to a full 3 minutes warm-up period (whether that wish to use it properly, or not). If you start the warm up before the second team comes back, and at some time thereafter, when the 2nd team does return, start another 3 minute warm up, you're throwing the timing off for the team who came back properly, on time.

If the offending team came back 5 minutes late, you'd be giving the offended team two options; warm up for 8 minutes, or cool down for an additional 5 minutes after they finished their original 3 minute warm up. If you hold the warm up clock until both teams are ready to participate, apart from the issue of who fouls, both teams get 3 full minutes to warm up immediately before starting the 2nd half.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 01:58pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Sounds like the FED needs to put out a ruling or tweak the wording on this rule. Many different interpretations as to when to wind the clock, holding for a team that hasn't returned, etc.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Sounds like the FED needs to put out a ruling or tweak the wording on this rule. Many different interpretations as to when to wind the clock, holding for a team that hasn't returned, etc.
Actually, I suspect that NFHS likes it that way. Some things they intend to leave to the states.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 06:30pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Actually, I suspect that NFHS likes it that way. Some things they intend to leave to the states.
And open us officials up to liability.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
And open us officials up to liability.

Not really. We give them the 3 minute warm up period, it's up to them whether or not to use it. Your honor, the team was given the proper warm up period, however they chose to stay in the locker room. Case closed.

If both teams voluntarily step out on the field and line up for the kickoff, we reset the clock to 12 minutes whether it's still during the 15 or 3 minutes. I never bring the captains out prior to the second half. All that is necessary is to ask the team that does not have the choice which goal they wish to defend. KISS.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I am missing something here. I am seeing some of you discuss the team not being back on the field in time. Don't you send officials to the locker rooms (or whatever area the team goes to) to let the coach know it is time to come back to the field?
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Not really. We give them the 3 minute warm up period, it's up to them whether or not to use it. Your honor, the team was given the proper warm up period, however they chose to stay in the locker room. Case closed.

If both teams voluntarily step out on the field and line up for the kickoff, we reset the clock to 12 minutes whether it's still during the 15 or 3 minutes. I never bring the captains out prior to the second half. All that is necessary is to ask the team that does not have the choice which goal they wish to defend. KISS.
KISS is always an option, but only one of many. Many see bringing the Captains out at the half as a standard part of the traditional protocol of the game, which dates back generations. It provides an opportunity for the Referee to briefly summarize how either, or both, teams conducted themselves during the 1st half, and to remind them similar, or better, behavior will be expected for the rest of the game. It's also an opportunity to ask if there are any questions the Captains may have about either half, and to clear up any points of concern of either team, or the officials.

If there were problems during the 1st half, this presents an opportunity to directly mention them and caution about repeating them, or any other subject worth repeating. As for choices that are to be made, or have already been made by coaches, simply confirming those choices, for the benefit of those watching and getting all the participants on the same page, has no drawback. The meeting also serves as a clear demarcation from the intermission, and under most circumstances lasts less then a minute.

So really, how much simpler does KISS actually make things?
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 12:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALJ View Post
Halftime can be shortened by mutual agreement of both coaches, not by one side arbitrarily.
But the 3 min. warm-up can not be shortened - or as in the game I cited - done away with entirely...even if both coaches "agree". Correct?
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
KISS is always an option, but only one of many. Many see bringing the Captains out at the half as a standard part of the traditional protocol of the game, which dates back generations. It provides an opportunity for the Referee to briefly summarize how either, or both, teams conducted themselves during the 1st half, and to remind them similar, or better, behavior will be expected for the rest of the game. It's also an opportunity to ask if there are any questions the Captains may have about either half, and to clear up any points of concern of either team, or the officials.

If there were problems during the 1st half, this presents an opportunity to directly mention them and caution about repeating them, or any other subject worth repeating. As for choices that are to be made, or have already been made by coaches, simply confirming those choices, for the benefit of those watching and getting all the participants on the same page, has no drawback. The meeting also serves as a clear demarcation from the intermission, and under most circumstances lasts less then a minute.

So really, how much simpler does KISS actually make things?
The meeting itself takes less than a minute but you have to factor in the time to track down the captains and get them to the meeting spot. You are also taking them away from whatever warm-up or exercise they are doing (and probably leading if they are captains). If you had issues from the first half you need to discuss, you should have done that in the first half when they happened. We occasionally will take an official's time out during a game to have that conversation with the captains. I'm not opposed to crews having the captain's meeting but we've stopped doing it for several years now and have not had any issues.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The meeting itself takes less than a minute but you have to factor in the time to track down the captains and get them to the meeting spot. You are also taking them away from whatever warm-up or exercise they are doing (and probably leading if they are captains). If you had issues from the first half you need to discuss, you should have done that in the first half when they happened. We occasionally will take an official's time out during a game to have that conversation with the captains. I'm not opposed to crews having the captain's meeting but we've stopped doing it for several years now and have not had any issues.
As I suggested, "KISS is always an option, but only one of many." If you add "tracking down the Captains" you're pushing the meeting up to about 62 seconds, and any interruption to "taking them away from warm-up exercises" is likely minimal.

If you had issues during the first half, most likely they were discussed as deemed necessary at the time. Sometimes, however, teenagers have very short memories and a reminder can be helpful. You're choosing to stop having such meetings seems to fall under the category of being one, of the many, options available.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
But the 3 min. warm-up can not be shortened - or as in the game I cited - done away with entirely...even if both coaches "agree". Correct?
They way the Virginia interpreter explained it to us, correct. You can shorten halftime (to a minimum of 10 minutes), but the 3 minutes must be run off in its entirety.