The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

D Holding on a CB during a Run?

I was working a youth game this weekend for 7th and 8th graders, and I was working with a non-state certified official and another one that was (yes, the youth games around here have more officials than our Freshman games). Well the wing comes in and tells the white hat that he had defensive holding on the CB on his side. Ok I thought, but then it struck me as it was a run up the middle, why would anyone call holding outside during a run up the middle? Is it even a penalty? I mean i guess it is as the guy said the CB had the WR in a bear hug, but really judgment would tell you not to flag it right? I know on a passing play if he was a receiver at the time, it would be illegal use of hands.

So am I way way way off base. I never really thought about this situation because it is something that not many people would call I would think.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I wouldn't call it. I'd also be using my voice telling B to not hold A.

If I was the WH, I would even pick up this flag, as it had no effect on the play.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

If I was the WH, I would even pick up this flag, as it had no effect on the play.
I suggested that to the WH and he said that the other guy was so adamant about it because the league sent him a warning about calling holding the week before...Oh well. At least I was in the Umpire spot and not on a wing to hear about it.

PS with a three man crew do you guys like 2 wings and a ref, or 1 wing a U and an R?
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:16pm

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanic

CANADIAN MECHANIC:

R, U, HL.

I've heard of a place that rotated the U to LJ and HL to U if the LJ side is the short side, and then vice versa to keep the wing on the short side. We have the R take the open sideline.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
I was working a youth game this weekend for 7th and 8th graders, and I was working with a non-state certified official and another one that was (yes, the youth games around here have more officials than our Freshman games). Well the wing comes in and tells the white hat that he had defensive holding on the CB on his side. Ok I thought, but then it struck me as it was a run up the middle, why would anyone call holding outside during a run up the middle? Is it even a penalty? I mean i guess it is as the guy said the CB had the WR in a bear hug, but really judgment would tell you not to flag it right? I know on a passing play if he was a receiver at the time, it would be illegal use of hands.

So am I way way way off base. I never really thought about this situation because it is something that not many people would call I would think.
Did the hold have a material affect on the play is the question. From your description the answer is no. Therefore, the hold should not have been called.

The principle of material affect says if a foul does not cause any chnage in the result of the play do not call it. Therefore, fouls away from the point of attack especially on a running play should not be flagged.

What I would do is let the playyer holding know I saw it and he was lucky, of course, you were dealing with 13-14 year olds.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Unless the guy tells me specifically its "pull and shoot" and the guy who got through made the tackle, I have to tell the guy to pick up the flag. Its been awhile since I have done youth games, but on the varsity level it has to be pretty substantial in order for me to let that call exist.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
What if you'd done that a half-dozen times and the CB insists on continuing to bear hug the defender and throw him to the ground?
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
What if you'd done that a half-dozen times and the CB insists on continuing to bear hug the defender and throw him to the ground?
If there were several warnings and the player was "thrown to the ground", I would consider a personal foul for unnecessary roughness.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 11:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
If there were several warnings and the player was "thrown to the ground", I would consider a personal foul for unnecessary roughness.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
What if you've told the CB several times to quit holding. You've seen it and warned him. Despite this, he insists on holding onto the WR in a bear hug, nothing else. Would you call the hold or would you just continue to tell him to quit holding? I would think eventually you would have to call the hold or you are just issuing empty threats to the CB.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Who was hurt?

What would the offense want? To keep the CB away from the ball carrier.

If the CB is out there holding someone then he's not going to be making the tackle, right? So what's the issue. He took himself out of the play. I would think the offense would let that CB hold all day with no complaint.

Tell the other official that if an action outside the rules actually puts you at a disadvantge, LET IT GO.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mood Risin View Post
What would the offense want? To keep the CB away from the ball carrier.

If the CB is out there holding someone then he's not going to be making the tackle, right? So what's the issue. He took himself out of the play. I would think the offense would let that CB hold all day with no complaint.

Tell the other official that if an action outside the rules actually puts you at a disadvantge, LET IT GO.
I agree with this. If you think about it, it might actually hurt the D more to have the guy out there holding on to to WR and not moving to the ball.

If I were the WH in the game, I would have not called it, but alas I was not.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Letting the players know you'll be watching always works for me when I see these contacts happen away from the ball and especially after a dead ball. If it happens again, I'll bang him.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
There shouldn't have been a third time.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.