The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Offensive encroachment??

2nd time as a WH in my life last night and twice we had WR's lining up a yard off the ball, in the wrong direction, they were on the defensive side of the ball. I signaled encroachment both times because i could think of no other signal besides maybe illegal formation. Did i get this right or did I kick it?
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 12:17pm
TODO: creative title here

You got it right. A is guilty of encroachment if any part of an A player's body (except for the snapper) is in the neutral zone.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

How did your wing let him line up there? Something's fishy: you should never have encroachment like that.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
How did your wing let him line up there? Something's fishy: you should never have encroachment like that.
He repeatedly told him to get back, and after plays would come up to them and tell them they were too far ahead. They apparently didn't listen to him.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Encroachment is correct, RC. you got it right! don't you just love it when that happens?!

On the few occassions when I get to be a wing I will offer some help by telling the kid to back up or at least give him a second or so, as long as the snap is not imminent, to back up. Looks like your wing tried this more than once. Despite being a strong advocate of preventive officiating, bottom line is it is not the officials job to line a kid up...

Despite people who are a little to quick with the second guess and judgment trigger on this and other forums, the best possible learning environmnet is to ask questions like this in a safe evironmnet and all of us,regardless of experience level, to keep learning each game!
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Suppose the neutral zone is set, and team A is playing without huddling. A1, returning from B's side of B's line of scrimmage, stops at a point where he's still encroaching. The wing official says, "Here's your line of scrimmage" and points, and A1 stands offside and drools. A's snapper isn't over the ball yet, but is getting there. At what point do you kill the play in Fed?
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 06:28pm
TODO: creative title here

Same as you do it when the defense lines up in the neutral zone in FED... kill it just before the snap.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Suppose the neutral zone is set, and team A is playing without huddling. A1, returning from B's side of B's line of scrimmage, stops at a point where he's still encroaching. The wing official says, "Here's your line of scrimmage" and points, and A1 stands offside and drools. A's snapper isn't over the ball yet, but is getting there. At what point do you kill the play in Fed?
(just like if the D lined up offside) I would give him ample time to move back. If he did not, I will blow it dead and call them for encroachment.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to ML99 Send a message via Skype™ to ML99
I had a situation - REC lined up far in the neutral zone and didn't listen to me to step back.

1) what would you do in this case - if the player doesn't listen to you? kill the play before the snap? flag it?

2) what to do if the player readjusts and moves back - at the same time the snaps starts.

3) what to do if the player readjusts and moves back - at the same time the snaps starts + another player is in motion

I threw a flag since the play started and he was 1-2 yrds in the neutral zone at the snap. When I reported to the HR he asked me for the foul and I told him enchroachment Offense. He replyed "why didn't you kill the play before the snap - we can't give them a penalty now after the play is over".
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

1. Depends on the level, but for varsity I'd kill it before or at the snap.
2. Assuming he's out of the NZ, legal.
3. I would not flag illegal motion the first time that happened, but talk to him. I won't get him for the motion because he's doing what I told him to do. If it keeps happening you'd have to get it.

Your white hat wasn't entirely correct, but I get what he was driving at. If you let the play go, you can't then call encroachment, which is a dead-ball foul. But he could still have signaled illegal motion or formation or something to penalize the foul and gone on from there.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

encroachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML99 View Post
1) what would you do in this case - if the player doesn't listen to you? kill the play before the snap? flag it?

2) what to do if the player readjusts and moves back - at the same time the snaps starts.
I had a play like #1) last night....several times. WR lines up in the neutral zone, then turns his head and points at me, then quickly looks back to the line of scrimmage without even waiting to see what I'd say / signal...so he didn't have a chance to see me telling him to back up. I killed the play right before the snap and threw the flag on him for encroachment.

I had play #2) earlier in the year, but didn't call it...I was on the defensive sideline, right in front of the coach, so he went ape when I told the receiver to back up and he was backing up at the snap. I looked up the rule and discussed it here online and basically decided it was a good no-call since he was moving backwards at the snap. Technically though, he should have been five yards deep at the snap to be legal.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML99 View Post
I had a situation - REC lined up far in the neutral zone and didn't listen to me to step back.

3) what to do if the player readjusts and moves back - at the same time the snaps starts + another player is in motion

I threw a flag since the play started and he was 1-2 yrds in the neutral zone at the snap. When I reported to the HR he asked me for the foul and I told him enchroachment Offense. He replyed "why didn't you kill the play before the snap - we can't give them a penalty now after the play is over".
1) Kill it and flag it.

2) If he was set for 1 sec, then ok. If not, it's an illegal shift.

3) If another player is CLEARLY in motion, then I'd flag it for illegal shift. If another player is just starting his motion, I would probably let it go.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Rfp

If he is in the NZ at the RFP it is considered encroachment by rule.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 08:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
If he is in the NZ at the RFP it is considered encroachment by rule.
100% on the test.

Now in real life....
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 08:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
1) Kill it and flag it.

2) If he was set for 1 sec, then ok. If not, it's an illegal shift.

3) If another player is CLEARLY in motion, then I'd flag it for illegal shift. If another player is just starting his motion, I would probably let it go.
If I'm telling another player to move back, it's unlikely I'm then going to flag him for an illegal motion or illegal shift. No impossible, but unlikely.

This is less likely to happen on a varsity game than during a JV/Freshman/Youth game.