The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Defense block below waist

NFHS

A1, the left guard pulls and attempts to block B1, the left defensive end. B1 sees the guard pulling to kick him out and cuts A1 so he won't widen the hole for A2 the running back.

I believe this is a legal block by B1 as all the conditions are met. Both A1 and B1 were on their lines of scrimmage, the block happened in the zone and the ball was handed off in the zone. The free bocking zone rules apply to both A and B players equally, right? Am I missing something? The coach sure thought I was!!
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding is that if they are in the box 3x4 at the snap, that block would be legal.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 03:09pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
My understanding is that if they are in the box 3x4 at the snap, that block would be legal.
They both need to be on the line plus the other FBZ requirements.

phansen, if all requirements of the free blocking zone were met, both players were on the line at the snap and the contact was in the zone, you were right. Sounds like you nailed it, despite what the coach thinks (big surprise there).
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 03:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

The rule of thumb I use for free blocking zone activity is this (assuming all other FBZ requirements are met):

*An A lineman can clip a B lineman
*An A lineman can block a B lineman below the waist
*A B lineman can block an A lineman below the waist
*An A lineman can block any B player in the back if that player is in the FBZ at the snap.

Notice that there is only one of those things that B is allowed to do.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Where I get confused - help

ART. 5 . . . The free-blocking zone disintegrates and the exception for a player
Rule 2-18 2009 NFHS Football Rules Page 30
to block below the waist and/or the exception for an offensive lineman to clip
and/or block in the back is not to continue after the ball has left the zone.

What exactly is meant by the ball leaving the zone. Once snapped in a shotgun formation - has it left the zone? Once snapped and the QB turns to hand it back to a runner - has it left the zone?
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 03:54pm
Archaic Power Monger

Once the ball is no longer in the free blocking zone, the zone disintergrates for the down. Even if the ball leaves for a second. Yes you are correct that on a snap that goes outside the zone, the zone is gone.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
I believe this is a legal block by B1 as all the conditions are met. Both A1 and B1 were on their lines of scrimmage, the block happened in the zone and the ball was handed off in the zone.
Assuming A1 was in the FBZ at the snap, was the defender in the FBZ at the snap? That's the one requirement you didn't list .

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

The problem is different interpretations on BBW (not big beautiful women) in a shotgun snap, coming from the different state associations. In Iowa, we have been told that the initial block must be instant along with the snap....no hesitation. If there is hesitation, it's a flag. Seems to me they could easily clarify this rule by saying no BBW period, if the QB is in shotgun position or not in position to received direct hand to hand snap. It would eliminate a lot of misunderstandings and a lack of continuity from one crew to the next.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
The problem is different interpretations on BBW (not big beautiful women) in a shotgun snap, coming from the different state associations. In Iowa, we have been told that the initial block must be instant along with the snap....no hesitation. If there is hesitation, it's a flag. Seems to me they could easily clarify this rule by saying no BBW period, if the QB is in shotgun position or not in position to received direct hand to hand snap. It would eliminate a lot of misunderstandings and a lack of continuity from one crew to the next.
Buck, I think that's why state associations come out with how they want it called.

In NC, the lineman must be in a three or four point stance and his initial charge must be forward. Rationale: If he's in a two point stance or he takes a step back, the FBZ has disintegrated before he can make the block.

Agree or disagree, that's the interp we're given so that everyone is consistent and there are no questions.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The rule of thumb I use for free blocking zone activity is this (assuming all other FBZ requirements are met):

*An A lineman can clip a B lineman
*An A lineman can block a B lineman below the waist
*A B lineman can block an A lineman below the waist
*An A lineman can block any B player in the back if that player is in the FBZ at the snap.

Notice that there is only one of those things that B is allowed to do.

Welpe

where does it say that B can't block in the back or clip an A lineman if all conditions of the FBZ are met?
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Assuming A1 was in the FBZ at the snap, was the defender in the FBZ at the snap? That's the one requirement you didn't list .

Without gettin my tape measure out, I'd say at least part of him was in the zone, therefore he meets the requirement of being in the zone at the snap
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
Welpe

where does it say that B can't block in the back or clip an A lineman if all conditions of the FBZ are met?
read the definitions under Free Blocking Zone.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thank you

I learned something new today
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
What Mike said. Rule 2.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
What exactly is meant by the ball leaving the zone. Once snapped in a shotgun formation - has it left the zone? Once snapped and the QB turns to hand it back to a runner - has it left the zone?
It means the actual position of the ball w.r.t. the FBZ. However, some state assocs. have adopted interpret'ns deeming an immediate block whose motion begins at the snap to beat the snap's leaving the FBZ, and IIRC at least one state deems the snap's leaving the FBZ to beat all contact.