The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

This is more a question on philosophy than strict rules interpretation. Discussion involved following play. QB A7 in shotgun formation 5 yards behind line of scrimmage. At snap guard A76 blocks defensive lineman below waist. He does this on initial charge, he doesn't retreat one step and then throw block. Because on this play the ball is out of the free blocking zone almost instantly some felt this block would be illegal unless the guard is extremely quick. Others felt that in spirit of rules this would be legal as long as it was on initial charge with no delay. Opinions please?
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

We rule that if the BBTW is on the lineman's immediate charge, the block is legal. When he began his charge, the ball was in the FBZ. I beleive the rule is really designed to penalize cut blocking on a defender that is moving, but to continue to allow initial charge BBTW. Thus the requirement that both players be on the LOS and in the FBZ at the snap. Technically, even though the ball may have left the FBZ, I believe the spirit of the rule is to allow the block.

Just like we give charging tacklers the benefit of the doubt on late hits and roughing the passer, I believe we own the linemen the same consideration. JMHO

But it is an excellent question. I look forward to others' answering.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I agree.

Over the past several seasons, we have been developing the following philosophy regarding blocks below the waist:

As long as the block below the waist occurs on the initial charge immediately after the snap it should be considered legal, even in a scrimmage kick formation. We have been discussing this with the coaches in our pre-game meetings and everyone in the league accepts it.

If the blockers retreat or hesitate (while maintaining separation from the defenders) and the quarterback is dropping back to pass, this would create a situation where an illegal block could occur.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Agreed. A block below the waist must occur almost instantly as the ball leaves the free blocking zone extended almost immediately.

A strict interpretation would likely find the player fouled but the rule is designed to allow the BBTW on the initial charge when there is little momentum by a player.

The most recent change to the rule eliminated players not on the line in the FBZ, that is, backs and linebackers who could easily have some momentum on a BBTW.

Why does the rule exist?

To allow a BBTW in close line play while protecting players from the possibility of knee injury.