The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 08:12am
Broadcaster

You know, I didn't even notice that it was a forward pass. It was ruled a backward pass and unsportsmanlike conduct (arms out to the side mechanic). That was the only call of the night that made me go "HUH?" so I thought I'd check with you guys.

Thanks.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Yeah, but the main reason that guy posts is to rip officials.
No....

The only reason this guy posts is to rip officials.

Look for him to show up a bit more in the future. Seems he took his football and cleats and went home from the FED site.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

FED site

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post

The only ...went home from the FED site.

What is the FED site? Is it similar to this one?
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegenref View Post
What is the FED site? Is it similar to this one?
NFHS Forum: Football
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The tackler flipped the runner over, but he did not have the "top-down" leverage required to drive him head-first into the ground. The tackler ended underneath the runner.
As a wrestling official (and an ex-wrestler who has been thrown like this many times), I can tell you that "top-down" leverage is not required to actually create significant head-first force into the ground. Where the tackler ended in relation to the runner has little to no bearing on whether or not there was an acceleration down towards the ground and significant risk of head and/or neck injury. By popping his hips up during the throw, I can assure you that plenty of leverage/downward force was created. If you don't believe me, head to a local wrestling practice in November and ask somebody to suplay or salto you. There is a reason throws like this are illegal under NFHS wrestling rules.

The play was over when the defender popped his hips and created the downward acceleration. The forward progress had been stopped. The runner was no longer in contact with the ground. This is akin to a defender catching an airborne receiver, driving him back, and then intentionally depositing him on his head at the whistle. The fact that it was all part of a continuous action leads me to believe that I'd give the defender the benefit of the doubt that the act was not intentional and pass on any foul.

However, I don't thing it is as cut and dry of a no-call as most.

Last edited by InsideTheStripe; Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 09:26am. Reason: Cleaining up punctuation
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I have no flag on it. The pass did look forward and watching the first 2.5 minutes of the video I saw some poor officiating mechanics...Also, a bit earlier I saw a "fumble" recovery for a TB by B on a play which also looked like an incomplete forward pass. I may go back and take a second look.

side point: I think watching film is an excellent way to review ourselves and get better while being able to see actual plays and situations that hopefully wont be a suprise when we see them live.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I've got nothing illegal here. It just looks bad because it happened near the sideline. Had this happened on the 50 I would have nothing.

I had one this year where a guy tackled the runner and it looked like a Triple H spine buster where he picked the runner up off the ground then slammed his back to the ground.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 11:24am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post

I had one this year where a guy tackled the runner and it looked like a Triple H spine buster where he picked the runner up off the ground then slammed his back to the ground.
Did you flag it?

As an ex-wrestler myself, InsideTheStripe broke down the analysis of the tackle pretty well I think. This looks bad but I don't think watching video I'd have a PF on this. On the field, maybe a different story.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
side point: I think watching film is an excellent way to review ourselves and get better while being able to see actual plays and situations that hopefully wont be a suprise when we see them live.
Where is the best place to find film to watch? I know in another posting the guys were talking about getting copies of their Friday night games from the AD, but I'm not on a varsity crew yet. Do you think the JV coach would give me their film?
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

this forum vs. nfhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
Do you guys patronize both this forum and that NFHS forum or do most people look at just one or the other? Which one is better and why?
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 02:34pm
Archaic Power Monger

I post on several. This one, the NFHS forum and Refstripes.com. There are a few others for baseball and what not but I am a bit of a forum junkie.

I've recently moved to Texas (which uses NCAA rules in football) so I probably won't post much in the football section anymore but I just started basketball and I work baseball so I won't drop off of there completely.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would say that the NF website for football is probably better. But that is mostly because year-round more officials and coaches frequent that board. There are more detailed discussions on the football side of things. The basketball board is another example of how bad it is on the NF board. Not many conversations or people attend that site. I do not think the issue is which is better? I think the issue is what serves your needs. Both serve my needs to discuss officiating. I am on a couple of other boards that are not quite officiating sites from time to time as well. It is not really that big of deal, I am often trying to pass the time between activities.

Peace