The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Tackle Eligible

In NFHS rules, does you have to announce an eligible tackle...?
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

You are either an eligible reciever or not. 1. you must be wearing an eligible number and 2. must be lined up in the backfield or on the end of the line.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

No, because he can't be eligible if he is a tackle. Only the NFL permits this.

You can only be eligible by POSITION along with the NUMBER you are wearing.

The numbers are 1-49 and 80-99, the positions are anywhere in the backfield and the two guys on the end of the line.

You might have heard of the snapper catching a pass, Not a problem as long as he was wearing the correct number AND was on the end of the line at the time of the snap.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

So, as long as you have an eligible number and you are on the end of the LOS you are eligible and you DO NOT have to announce anything...?

What if you line up in the tackle position with a RB's number and then the SE to your side shifts back into the backfield and the wing back on the opposite side shifts up to the line... would this be a legal formation & shift...?
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachlaratta
So, as long as you have an eligible number and you are on the end of the LOS you are eligible and you DO NOT have to announce anything...?
There is not such thing as "announcing" an eligible player (unless you are in the NFL).

Quote:
What if you line up in the tackle position with a RB's number and then the SE to your side shifts back into the backfield and the wing back on the opposite side shifts up to the line... would this be a legal formation & shift...?
And ineligible number is ineligible no matter where they are located. All that is required is to have 5 players on the LOS with the numbers 50-79 (if not in a scrimmage kick formation). If a use a player numbered from 50-79 in another location other than the line, they cannot become eligible just because of their position.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he lines up on the end of the line and has an eligible number, he's an end, Coach, not a tackle.

There is no "announcing" in NCAA or NFHS. That's only in the NFL. You must have 5 players numbered 50-79 lined up on the LOS. Those players are not eligible receivers.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Remember though guys, there is one exception to being legal if a player has a eligible number and is in a eligible position. It is...

if he is an exception to the numbering requirement in scrimmage kick formation and then they shift out of that formation. He then remains ineligible throughout the down even if he has an eligible number and is eligible by position.

Coach, if that seems confusing, just don't put a guy with a eligible number in between the ends when in scrimmage kick formation and then shift out of it, having him now in a eligible position.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
No, because he can't be eligible if he is a tackle. Only the NFL permits this.
I don't think I agree with this statement. Are you saying that if he lines up next to the guard with no other player beyond him on the LOS that he is not a tackle , but an end? I' would say that he is a tackle that is an eligible receiver if he has the proper number. Likewise in the muddle huddle the center is still a center even though he is on the end of the line.

I think I'm arguing over semantics.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Knowing Theisey, I don't think he meant that a tackle can never be eligible. I think what he was getting at is that by definition, an uncovered player next to the guard would be an end, not a tackle. Even though he is the tradition tackle spot, he is not a "tackle".

Just to summarize what has been said here, no announcing, NFL only (one of my biggest pet peeves). In order to have a legal formation, you must have 5 guys on the LOS 50-79, so if you have a player with an eligible number 1-49 and 80-99, you must have 5 guys numbered accordingly. And like any other eligible receiver, he cannot be covered up by another player. This is for regular scrimmage downs.

For scrimmage kicks, the eligible receivers are determined when they set, not when the ball is snapped like a regular scrimmage down. You see this often confused on the swinging gate plays. The numbering exception comes into play after they shift to a kick formation, but if you move an eligible number to an eligible position, he must have been eligible in the original set, i.e. not covered by anyone prior to the shift.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 08:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
In NFHS rules, does you have to announce an eligible tackle...?
The outermost person on each side of the line is eligible. All others are ineligible by position and at least 5 of these playere are required and shall be in an unbroken line. Each line player must be wearing the appropriately numbered shirt, which is 40 through 69 for ineligible and others for eligible. To play a position other than what your number says you are, you must report.

In Canada, we do have a "tackle eligible" as well as a "center eligible" possibility. Even "guard eligible" though I rarely see it.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Exactly Grantsrc.
I remember a JV coach a few years ago telling me that about his unbalanced formation with three tackles. He said he would move his regular right tackle between his left tackle and his left end and then slide his regular right end over next to the right guard.

So I said OK, no problem, you'll just have a Guard and an End on the right side. He said "No, I'll have and guard and a tackle".

I had to walk away to keep from bursting out with some laughter.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
I don't think I agree with this statement. Are you saying that if he lines up next to the guard with no other player beyond him on the LOS that he is not a tackle , but an end? I' would say that he is a tackle that is an eligible receiver if he has the proper number. Likewise in the muddle huddle the center is still a center even though he is on the end of the line.

Yeah it is semantics. "Tackle", "guard", "flanker", etc. are words that have no meaning with regard to the rules. What if 10 players line up on the line of scrimmage? What do you call them?

If you're on the end of the line, you're an end. If you're on the LOS and between the ends, then you're a lineman. Everybody else is a back, unless they're lined up illegally (no man's land)
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
Yeah it is semantics. "Tackle", "guard", "flanker", etc. are words that have no meaning with regard to the rules. What if 10 players line up on the line of scrimmage? What do you call them?
10 linemen, 2 ends, and a back (assuming the QB was behind the center---I mean snapper).
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears
10 linemen, 2 ends, and a back (assuming the QB was behind the center---I mean snapper).
Yeah, but I was just trying to illustrate to those who have to label every single player (ie, tackle, guard, etc.). So what would you have, a center, two guards, two tackles, two "tight ends", but then what? That leaves 3 more players on the line.

Just trying to make a point that those titles (guard, tackle, etc.) are more or less "fan" terms, and have no bearing on the rules.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat

As far as the rules go, there's no such thing as a tackle or a guard. If he's on the end of the line, he's an end.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith