View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The tackler flipped the runner over, but he did not have the "top-down" leverage required to drive him head-first into the ground. The tackler ended underneath the runner.
As a wrestling official (and an ex-wrestler who has been thrown like this many times), I can tell you that "top-down" leverage is not required to actually create significant head-first force into the ground. Where the tackler ended in relation to the runner has little to no bearing on whether or not there was an acceleration down towards the ground and significant risk of head and/or neck injury. By popping his hips up during the throw, I can assure you that plenty of leverage/downward force was created. If you don't believe me, head to a local wrestling practice in November and ask somebody to suplay or salto you. There is a reason throws like this are illegal under NFHS wrestling rules.

The play was over when the defender popped his hips and created the downward acceleration. The forward progress had been stopped. The runner was no longer in contact with the ground. This is akin to a defender catching an airborne receiver, driving him back, and then intentionally depositing him on his head at the whistle. The fact that it was all part of a continuous action leads me to believe that I'd give the defender the benefit of the doubt that the act was not intentional and pass on any foul.

However, I don't thing it is as cut and dry of a no-call as most.

Last edited by InsideTheStripe; Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 09:26am. Reason: Cleaining up punctuation