The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Stepping off penalties

NFHS

When umpiring, is it necessary to actually step off penalties with the exact number of steps as are in the penalty? (5, 10, or 15) I typically don't. I take a moment to determine where the penalty will be marked off from, review for accuracy where the ball will be placed and then quickly get the ball to the proper spot on the field.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

No.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

When umpiring, is it necessary to actually step off penalties with the exact number of steps as are in the penalty? (5, 10, or 15) I typically don't. I take a moment to determine where the penalty will be marked off from, review for accuracy where the ball will be placed and then quickly get the ball to the proper spot on the field.
There is no absolute way to step off a penalty. Probably the biggest consideration is how well (or not) the field is marked. On a well marked field it's relatively easy to determine where you're starting from, and where you should wind up, so just determining where you should wind up and going there as fluently as possible seems like the preferable way. It helps to verbalize your target and get concurrence from the referee before you start. (OK, I'm going 15 yards from the Blue 43 to the Blue 28, for 3rd & 19).

On a poorly marked, or snow covered, field it's not as easy and stepping off the penalty might well be the more accurate way, or the only way of measuring the distance required. You have to be prepared for whtever the circumstances allow.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think it's necessary but I would say it looks more professional and it helps sell your program to the coaches, players and fans. Just my opinion.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 03:52pm
TODO: creative title here

I thought I read somewhere (NFHS Official's Manual maybe?) that you shouldn't step off the entire penalty on a well-marked field; only step of the distance to the first 5-yard-line and from the last 5-yard line.

Personally, I define a 'well-marked field' as one that has hash marks for every yard. If there are only marks every 5 yards, I step off every yard of a penalty.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

No...especially when the spot of the foul, end of run, previous spot, etc., is close to a yard line marker. Usually throws people off when they're counting your steps.

On our varsity crew, the LJ will walk off the yardage with me as I'm taking it whatever direction we're going on the penalty....and that we do every step on. Looks more professional according to the crew chief...which I'm sure it does from above.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Someone a long time ago taught me to gauge the distance from the previous line (5 yard mark). Then, if it is a ten yard penalty walk past two lines and that distance. For 15 it is three lines. In my opinion, the faster you get where you need to be, the less people will scrutinize it.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

When umpiring, is it necessary to actually step off penalties with the exact number of steps as are in the penalty?
Not required. In fact, it's discouraged.