View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

When umpiring, is it necessary to actually step off penalties with the exact number of steps as are in the penalty? (5, 10, or 15) I typically don't. I take a moment to determine where the penalty will be marked off from, review for accuracy where the ball will be placed and then quickly get the ball to the proper spot on the field.
There is no absolute way to step off a penalty. Probably the biggest consideration is how well (or not) the field is marked. On a well marked field it's relatively easy to determine where you're starting from, and where you should wind up, so just determining where you should wind up and going there as fluently as possible seems like the preferable way. It helps to verbalize your target and get concurrence from the referee before you start. (OK, I'm going 15 yards from the Blue 43 to the Blue 28, for 3rd & 19).

On a poorly marked, or snow covered, field it's not as easy and stepping off the penalty might well be the more accurate way, or the only way of measuring the distance required. You have to be prepared for whtever the circumstances allow.