The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

This is probably easy but it's could be interesting...Maybe? Use any rules you like. What would you call if the batter bunts a ball that stops directly in front of the plate.The batters first step out of the box is on top of the ball. (unintentional) I am thinking dead ball,but it would be difficult for the umpire to see when contact was made with the ball so you might have an out in a game. Brian If this works out maybe I'll make up a couple more. LOL
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
Use any rules you like.
That would be ASA, then.
Quote:
What would you call if the batter bunts a ball that stops directly in front of the plate.The batters first step out of the box is on top of the ball.
Ha!! I like this one!

Assuming the PU saw all the exact sequence, position of foot, etc., this is a foul ball, because the ball makes contact with the batter before the batter is out of the box. The batter's foot is on top of the ball (not on the ground) and therefore the batter first makes contact with the ball before the foot is on the ground out of the box, therefore by definition, the batter is still in the box.

Now, in reality.... A likely call is dead ball, batter out, since PU will not have access to stop action slo-mo replay.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Does that mean that hypothetically if the BR takes a long leap out of the box as an initial "step", is not touching the ground in the box anymore, but is hit by a pop-up on the way down, it is a foul ball? It seems to me that not being in contact with the batter's box is the criteria for a foul, not being in contact elsewhere.

I agree that " A likely call is dead ball, batter out, since PU will not have access to stop action slo-mo replay"; expecially bcause the BR's foot will fall off the ball onto the ground while still touching the ball.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Use any rules you like.
That would be ASA, then.
Quote:
What would you call if the batter bunts a ball that stops directly in front of the plate.The batters first step out of the box is on top of the ball.
Ha!! I like this one!

Assuming the PU saw all the exact sequence, position of foot, etc., this is a foul ball, because the ball makes contact with the batter before the batter is out of the box. The batter's foot is on top of the ball (not on the ground) and therefore the batter first makes contact with the ball before the foot is on the ground out of the box, therefore by definition, the batter is still in the box.

Now, in reality.... A likely call is dead ball, batter out, since PU will not have access to stop action slo-mo replay.
Tom and I are going to disagree on this one.

Speaking ASA

I rule the BR is out based on 8.2.F and Dead Ball Situations, Ball Off Batter's Foot section of the Umpire's Manual, page 221.

If the ball is fair and the batter's foot is not inside the batter's box, it is interference and the BR is out.

Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Mike Does that mean if a girl is slapping and has her foot out of the box, but not touching the ground she would be out when she hits the ball ? I thought you weren't out of the box untill your foot was on the ground ? Thanks Brian
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike Does that mean if a girl is slapping and has her foot out of the box, but not touching the ground she would be out when she hits the ball ? I thought you weren't out of the box untill your foot was on the ground ? Thanks Brian

Turn the page, different scenario, different rule. We are discussing the BR making contact with an already-batted, fair ball with some part of their body outside of the batter's box.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Turn the page, different scenario, different rule. We are discussing the BR making contact with an already-batted, fair ball with some part of their body outside of the batter's box.
I followed the same reasoning as Brian in my original response. Mike's right - one is dealing with hitting the ball with one foot out of the box, the other rule is worded contact with a batted ball while the batter is "within" the box. This batter was not "within" the box (even if she was not out of the box, either).
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thank You Mike and Tom ... I do like to try to keep up as much as possable Brian
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

An interesting aside;

While coaching daughters team, (pre-umpiring days), I saw something I will probably never see again. This actually happened to my DD. Bunting from the right hand box, the ball hits plate and bounces straight up...into daughters shorts!(as she was leaving box). She runs halfway to first base before the ball falls out. I was in 3B coaches box, and saw it clearly, but only DD and I knew where ball was. It confused both umpires so that when ball fell out and rolled foul, DD got to hit again! At half inning, I asked PU if he saw the hidden ball trick, and he and BU both said they didnt know where it went. DD should have been out, but I was not gonna argue that one!