The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

out thinking myself

punt formation on 4th and a mile. Gunner runs down the sideline and the punter throws a pass to him. Pass interference on the sideline as the receiver attempts to get to the ball which was thrown a little too much towards the middle of the field. I don't call the PI thinking about rule 7-3-8 c4.
I check the rule when I get home and the rule says "simulates a scrimmage kick" and that's got me doubting myself. The punter threw it like a regular long pass. It wasn't excessively high to simulate a kick trajectory. Running the play over in my head I can't say one way or the other if the defenders were fooled and playing as if it was kicked. I'm afraid I may have completely blown the call.

Has anyone else run into a situation where they've used this PI non-call situation? How obvious was it? Did I out think myself on the field and if so, what is the best way to avoid these situations?

I've been an official for 4 years now and I'm hitting that point in my career I think where I know the book pretty good but I feel I'm second guessing myself alot in judgements and interpretations. I really work pretty hard to allow the players to decide the outcomes of the games. But I also work very hard to know the book forwards and backwards and be able to rule on anything that could happen. Does everyone hit this stage in their development? How do you get past it?
Thanks for your comments.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Are you seeking an NFL ruling?
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I would think he's asking about NCAA rules, as there is no such rule in NFHS.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Seeking an NCAA ruling. Sorry I didnt mention that.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 10:43am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

You must be in TX or MA then.

I don't know NCAA rules, but to get past things like this, the only element I see helping is education.

Fortunately, education comes more than just through experience.

Watch film! Try this site: http://www.refereeclinic.com/

Watch local games.

Look up the midmocollegerefs channel on YouTube YouTube - midmocollegerefs's Channel

Participate in local discussions. If there are none, start them.
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Never had it happen on a game myself, but my crew have discussed it when that rule was introduced. We decided to split it into a number of instances.

I would argue that during a regular passing play, a Passer will normally throw even long bombs with a flattish trajectory compared to a punt's trajectory, he doesn't want the pass to come down with snow on it. Therefore.....

If he throws a overarm pass whose trajectory looks about right for the distance thrown, then not simulating.

If he throws an overarm pass that appears to be deliberately high for the distance it is travelling, then simulating.

If the punter throws it underarm (in a ball relaying style) and high, then I'm certainly thinking he is simulating a scrimmage kick due to the underarm action.

I seem to recall that the reason for adding this rule was that there was a US college team that did have a trick play where the punter would hurl the ball in an underarm style to simulate a kick. They would very often get a DPI or they'd catch the pass - a win/win situation.

Another thing you might consider is the actions of the defender. In what manner is he trying to catch the ball? A punt returner does not catch the ball in the same way as a DB who is thinking "Interception!!", since they know that by rule they have an unimpeded opportunity to catch the kick. The defenders actions can perhaps tell you if he is thinking pass or kick.
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if this is a valid mechanic or not. But, maybe let the officials call the DPI and leave the other part to the referee. Thus, if he feels it simulates the flight of a punt, he could wave it off. That way the downfield guys don't need to worry about it.
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
You must be in TX or MA then.

I don't know NCAA rules, but to get past things like this, the only element I see helping is education.

Fortunately, education comes more than just through experience.

Watch film! Try this site: http://www.refereeclinic.com/

Watch local games.

Look up the midmocollegerefs channel on YouTube YouTube - midmocollegerefs's Channel

Participate in local discussions. If there are none, start them.
Great Links. Refereeclinic.com was very well done.