View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

out thinking myself

punt formation on 4th and a mile. Gunner runs down the sideline and the punter throws a pass to him. Pass interference on the sideline as the receiver attempts to get to the ball which was thrown a little too much towards the middle of the field. I don't call the PI thinking about rule 7-3-8 c4.
I check the rule when I get home and the rule says "simulates a scrimmage kick" and that's got me doubting myself. The punter threw it like a regular long pass. It wasn't excessively high to simulate a kick trajectory. Running the play over in my head I can't say one way or the other if the defenders were fooled and playing as if it was kicked. I'm afraid I may have completely blown the call.

Has anyone else run into a situation where they've used this PI non-call situation? How obvious was it? Did I out think myself on the field and if so, what is the best way to avoid these situations?

I've been an official for 4 years now and I'm hitting that point in my career I think where I know the book pretty good but I feel I'm second guessing myself alot in judgements and interpretations. I really work pretty hard to allow the players to decide the outcomes of the games. But I also work very hard to know the book forwards and backwards and be able to rule on anything that could happen. Does everyone hit this stage in their development? How do you get past it?
Thanks for your comments.