The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

False Start?

Why is this not flagged as a false start?

YouTube - 6-12 Shift
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

If that's not simulating a snap, I don't know what is....
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

It is simulating action at the snap though! I know it is a college game but in NFHS it should definitely be called FS.

2008 Point of emphasis page 89 in the 2008 NFHS Rules Book.

The major problem in dealing with false starts is the inconsistency in administration.
Whether or not a false start has occurred, or not, is not predicated upon whether the
defender encroaches or not, or by the down and/or distance. The false start act has to be
judged on its own. The offensive team is obligated to move, shift, or go in motion in such
a manner that does not simulate action at the snap. Whenever the false start causes a
defender to encroach, only the false start is penalized.
After the ready-for-play signal has sounded and all offensive players have assumed their
final set position for the snap, no player shall make a quick and/or jerky movement before
the snap. The purpose for restricting such movement is to discourage action designed to
cause defenders to encroach.
If the offensive team executes a shift in such a manner that simulates action at the snap,
the foul is a false start and not an illegal shift. The manner in which offensive players execute
shifts or go in motion can be fouls for a false start, but never for illegal shifts.
When linemen or backs initially set in an upright position or hands-on-knees position and
then drop into a three- or four-point stance for their final position, the action results in a
false start if it is done in a manner that simulates action at the snap. Such action must be
slow and deliberate.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Why is this not flagged as a false start?

YouTube - 6-12 Shift
I can think of two explanations.

1. The officials blew it.

2. This game seems to be a championship game. I suspect that the defense and officials had both scouted this play and were expecting it. Since the play fooled nobody, perhaps the officials ruled that it did not simulate the snap in its effect.

I know: (2) is a stretch.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 07:55am
Small Business Owner

Lightbulb

I can think of only one solution:

Dead Ball Foul - FALSE START

Last edited by KWH; Wed Sep 02, 2009 at 02:06pm. Reason: To remind everyone to throw your flag and end this non-football related bu11sh*t!!!
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

It's a rehearsal for "Dancing With The Stars?"
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Tweeeeeetttt!
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

This brings up a good point. Over time I have a seen a flanker or wideout make a hiccup before the snap and then reset. I let it go because they reset and I should be more vigilant about it being a false start. If the defense jumps, it's a no brainer. Sounds like a good discussion for our pregame.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

I can see both sides of this one. I do agree that the officials and opposing team were up to snuff on this as well. I'd have a tough time eating a whistle if I didn't know this was coming...I just wonder about the legality of it. It does somewhat simulate a snap, but both men that go in motion start backpedalling and going backwards when they make their moves. Interesting.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting is a good description. Had the defense responded to the movement, I doubt anyone would have a problem with a "False start" flag. As the defense did not respond negatively, the actions may have surprised the covering officials, and coupled with the defensive lack of reaction and no advantage being gained, exercised remarkable whistle control.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Referee, following the change of possession, might have whispered in the offensive Head Coach's ear, that the movement may have caught the crew off stride, but in retrospect it may have been really close to violating the "False Start" rule and his crew will be surely be prepared to rule on that, should they ever see it again.