The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Interesting play last night. Team A is set. It s tailback VERY SLOWLY comes up (did not simulate the snap or anythingjust came up) turned around to look at the clock.Got back down in his set and the play ran. I saw the play in front of me, and thought false start. But he did not move anything except his body up and turned his head. NO ONE from defense moved, so I did not call it. Asked umpire and both wings. They were like "did not know what he was doing". The defenseive coaches did NOT yell for a flag at all.

Anyone seen something like this before?

Should this have been called?
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
I am sure some purists would disagree, but I agree with your call. No advantage was gained, the defense did not move. If the defense had encroached, I would have flagged for illegal procedure.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
No reason that anyone should object to this ruling. As described he clearly did not commit a false start. Backs can move as long as they don't simulate action at the snap.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 07:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Interesting play last night. Team A is set. It s tailback VERY SLOWLY comes up (did not simulate the snap or anythingjust came up) turned around to look at the clock.Got back down in his set and the play ran. I saw the play in front of me, and thought false start. But he did not move anything except his body up and turned his head. NO ONE from defense moved, so I did not call it. Asked umpire and both wings. They were like "did not know what he was doing". The defenseive coaches did NOT yell for a flag at all.

Anyone seen something like this before?

Should this have been called?
We actually have a rule to cover this. Once a line player assumes a 3- or 4-point stance, he may not break that stance. (4.3.4)

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Sep 5th, 2004 at 12:55 PM]