The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Aren't the electric game clock and the play clock electronic communication devices?
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Aren't the electric game clock and the play clock electronic communication devices?
Yes. Are they "coaches' field equipment?"
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

This ain't nuthin'. I don't suppose anyone reading here would be old enough to have officiated when all coaching from the sideline was ostensibly illegal.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 04:18pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
This ain't nuthin'. I don't suppose anyone reading here would be old enough to have officiated when all coaching from the sideline was ostensibly illegal.
If anyone on this board was around back then, he would remember red flags instead of yellow ones, and flags in the end zone instead of pylons, and...oh yeah, the goal posts on the goal line instead of the end line. Yes, a little history freak here.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
If anyone on this board was around back then, he would remember red flags instead of yellow ones, and flags in the end zone instead of pylons, and...oh yeah, the goal posts on the goal line instead of the end line. Yes, a little history freak here.
...and no stripes on the socks and the wings "punching in" the TD and 4-man or 3-man crews and down boxes that were really boxes with a number on each of the 4 sides. I remember the goal posts on the GL for NFL but not FED ball. Maybe I am not old enough.

I contend that red flags would be better on dry fields late in the fall for afternoon games.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are they "coaches' field equipment?"
They are field equipment and they are used by the coaches, so the answer is, yes.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 07:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Quote:
Or the legal flying cross body block.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 10:22am
Small Business Owner

Come on Big John

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Whatever. I could care less. The rule is poorly written, bottom line.
Do you have a proposal to revise the wording? If so can you share it?
It is real easy to pound out on a keyboard that something is "poorly written!"
Getting involved and offering suggested wording revisions requires a little more creativity.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
...and no stripes on the socks and the wings "punching in" the TD and 4-man or 3-man crews and down boxes that were really boxes with a number on each of the 4 sides. I remember the goal posts on the GL for NFL but not FED ball. Maybe I am not old enough.
No matter how old, you wouldn't remember goals on the goal line in Fed. NCAA had already moved the goals to the end line when Fed inherited them and started writing their own rules from that base. However, there was an early proposal in Fed to rename the goal line something like "score line" because the goals weren't on that line. And to rename "field of play" "scrimmage zone" because you could still play in the end zones but not scrimmage from there.

Rugby has kept the wording "field of play" too but eventually (much later than the Fed football proposal) adopted "playing area" to mean field of play + in-goal areas. "Field of play" goes way back to a time when the area beyond the goal lines was treated similarly to that beyond the side lines, and the ball belonged to whichever side touched it down there -- which action I guess they didn't count as "play".

Robert
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH View Post
Do you have a proposal to revise the wording? If so can you share it?
It is real easy to pound out on a keyboard that something is "poorly written!"
Getting involved and offering suggested wording revisions requires a little more creativity.
Not to just reword, but how about just requiring any team to offer the same to the other team? Dry erase marker for dry erase marker, bullhorn for bullhorn, psychic transmitter for psychic transmitter, and enough advance notice to work out a system to use it. Not a playing rule enforced by field officials but a league regulation that would deal with the issue in advance of the game. If it was violated during the game, it would be treated the same way as using ineligible players.

Robert
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 07:53am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
No matter how old, you wouldn't remember goals on the goal line in Fed. NCAA had already moved the goals to the end line when Fed inherited them and started writing their own rules from that base. However, there was an early proposal in Fed to rename the goal line something like "score line" because the goals weren't on that line. And to rename "field of play" "scrimmage zone" because you could still play in the end zones but not scrimmage from there.

Rugby has kept the wording "field of play" too but eventually (much later than the Fed football proposal) adopted "playing area" to mean field of play + in-goal areas. "Field of play" goes way back to a time when the area beyond the goal lines was treated similarly to that beyond the side lines, and the ball belonged to whichever side touched it down there -- which action I guess they didn't count as "play".

Robert
FED may have moved the goal posts to the end line when they started writing the rules. I have an old book, that has some pictures from some high school games from the early years in Nebraska, and in a couple of those pictures, you can see the goal posts were clearly on the goal line.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FED may have moved the goal posts to the end line when they started writing the rules. I have an old book, that has some pictures from some high school games from the early years in Nebraska, and in a couple of those pictures, you can see the goal posts were clearly on the goal line.
But I'm pretty sure the Federation did not even exist at that time. If they existed, they didn't write their own football rules. Fed is as its name implies an organization that came about by the federation of existing state high school athletic ***'ns. Some of those HS ***'ns may have had their own rules for football (NCAA's with amendments), but in general everybody was using NCAA's rules for football when Fed organized. And although the NCAA was organized by & for colleges, before Fed existed NCAA had become conscious of the use of its rules by high schools and had someone reporting to their football rules committee with the interest of HS in mind.

I'd be interested in finding out whether any state HS athletic ***'ns or any local HS leagues either kept the goals on the goal lines for some number of seasons after NCAA moved them or made their positioning optional. After NCAA widened the goals to 23'4", many HS played, theoretically by Fed rules, on fields shared with colleges, and so were technically nonregulation, until about 15 yrs. later Fed allowed those goals as regulation in such circumstances. A few years later Fed made the wider goals the regulation ones. And then NCAA went and narrowed them again! I don't know if Fed followed a similar path on the re-narrowing to 18'6".

Robert