The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I just read on another sight the following play.

QB A1 is scrambling and crosses the neutral zone then sees A2 open downfield. He then retreats behind the neutral zone again and throws the pass downfield. Which in the example B2 interferes. What is the result of the play?

Call me dumb but I always thought that once you crossed the neutral zone that legal forward pass restrictions end. I did not know you could go back behind and throw legally!!??

Hope you understand the play and please comment. I am frantically looking in rule books now.

Help me out on this one!
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 03:44pm
Small Business Owner

Thumbs up Legal Play

The pass is legal.
Why? It met all requirements listed in 7-5-1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Another spin on your play would be:
1st and 10 on the 50.
A1 takes the snap drops back to the A-43 and throws a forward pass to A2 who catches the ball on the B-40.
A2 then throws a backward pass back to A1 who catches the ball on the A-45.
A1 then throws a forward pass to A2 who catches the ball on the B-35 and then B2 advances the ball and crosses the B-Goal line.
Ruling: Touchdown for A

The is no limit on the number of forward passes that can be thrown in high school football. THE ONLY REQUIREMENT is that all forward passes be thrown from BEHIND the neutral zone.
Therefore both your play and my play are legal.

Hint: On both your play and my play I would keep my eyes peeled for Ineligibles Downfield because:
Table 7-5 #3 (Also see 7-5-12)
"Ineligible A players may not advance across the expanded neutral zone before the LAST pass crosses the neutral zone is in flight unless touched in flight by B in or behind the neutral zone".
Based on this, "Once an ineligible has gone downfield it does not matter if HE returns behind the line. If a "Legal forward pass" is thrown you will still have a penalty for "Ineligible downfield"!

Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

WOW!!!!

I totally agree with your interpretation completely, but I am not looking forward to having to explain to the coach on the opposing sideline. Coach Nazium what do you think of these plays??
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Multiple forward passes are ok under Federation rules as KWH already pointed out above. They are not legal under NCAA rules.

Also, they are not a good idea as a designed play. That's because defensive pass interference restrictions end after the first pass.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

We have a play we actually call...."The Dumb Play". It is a designed play to throw a hitch to the flanker, throw the ball back to the quarterback, and then throw the ball down field aagin to the other wideout....

We ran it for a TD in the state championship in 1998. You can see it on my website under football/fall/ historical information....

I even coach my kids that once a ball is fthrown froward, on the next forward pass you can strike the receiver before the ball gets there because the restrictions end...

on the play on the internet we actually only threw one forward pass becasue of how tight the defense was plyaing on the hitch...but usually we throw it five yards downfield...and then back to the quarterback.

http://homepage.mac.com/benlippenfal...s/dumbplay.mov

you will need quicktime to view this clip...

I know you guys can find out who I am through this, but please don't dwell on it..thanks...it is worth it to me to show off my play....haha

we lost the state championship 24-14...we should have lost 42-6 probably...oh well....
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Coach,

Have I got a trick play for you! I actually saw this work this season.

3rd & 16 from the B26. QB and most of the offense rolls right. QB stops and throws back across the field to A55, a 6’5”, 325-pound offensive lineman. A55 had 2 blockers and 26 yds of open space in front of him, and he rumbled on in for the TD.

Naturally, you need a lineman that can both catch the pass and stay on his feet for 26 yds for this to work.

This play totally fooled the defense, because who is expecting #55 to receive a pass? What makes it legal is that the pass is BACKWARDS.

Once we explained it to the defensive coach, he understood and didn't have a problem. We also mentioned to the offensive coach: "Gee coach, remember when we asked about any trick plays? You just might want to mention that one in the future!"

Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Thanks FR, I saw Georgia Southern run this two weeks ago....I love it.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JimNayzium
We ran it for a TD in the state championship in 1998. You can see it on my website under football/fall/ historical information....
Credit to the downfield stripes for staying with the play!