The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer View Post
Zip ties, Reading Glasses, Back up whistle?
Zip Ties.
Every chain set of the teams I work has one of my (bright yellow) zip ties at its midpoint, easier to see than tape that gets dirty over time. So I can see where the down box is in comparison with the ziptie and know whether a 5yd penalty (eg offside) on the D gives us a 1st down or not. When the crew go round the horn with the down, HL adds the distance so that the white hat will know it too.
We try to stick to a set vocabulary for distance - inches, short, five, long, ten, two stakes. Very occasionally might use other exact distances, 15, 20 or 25, etc.

I also keep a black or white zip tie with me for repairing the chains if they break. I keep one inside the band of each of my hats, that way I never have to remember to take one out on the field - if I remember to wear a hat, I've got one with me. I've needed it several times so far in my career.

Backup whistle.
I always make sure I got two of everything out there with me - and that includes a whistle. Where do you put all this stuff? That's why officials pants have 4 pockets.

Reading glasses
Well in my case, I've worn regular glasses since I was a kid. Now I'm old, I get to wear varifocals.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
Zip Ties.
I also keep a black or white zip tie with me for repairing the chains if they break. I keep one inside the band of each of my hats, that way I never have to remember to take one out on the field - if I remember to wear a hat, I've got one with me. I've needed it several times so far in my career.
Now that is a really great idea and an ideal spot to keep what may a really important piece of repair equipment. It's not like a chain breaks every game, so putting that tie in your hat inside band may cover you for an entire season, or longer. Great, and practical, tip.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 07:50pm
Chain of Fools

Great idea on the hat, never thought of that. Something to add to the "toolbox"!

Thankee
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
Zip Ties.
Every chain set of the teams I work has one of my (bright yellow) zip ties at its midpoint, easier to see than tape that gets dirty over time. So I can see where the down box is in comparison with the ziptie and know whether a 5yd penalty (eg offside) on the D gives us a 1st down or not. When the crew go round the horn with the down, HL adds the distance so that the white hat will know it too.
We try to stick to a set vocabulary for distance - inches, short, five, long, ten, two stakes. Very occasionally might use other exact distances, 15, 20 or 25, etc.

Backup whistle.
I always make sure I got two of everything out there with me - and that includes a whistle. Where do you put all this stuff? That's why officials pants have 4 pockets.

Reading glasses
Well in my case, I've worn regular glasses since I was a kid. Now I'm old, I get to wear varifocals.
I like the idea of the zip tie.

My crew toolbag has extra clips, reading glasses and quick links -- for broken chains.

Quick links are great and we have different sizes for the different chains we encounter. Had a big playoff game where the chain broke away from the stake which usually requires a massive tape job and quite a few minutes. We took a big quick link hooked it to the stake and the first link of the chain in less than a minute.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

3. Rules Knowledge
Be a rules expert! When a rule is “kicked” all crew members are equally to blame. When a coach requests a conference to review a perceived misapplication of a rule, use the rule book.

OHSAA Football Manual for coaches and officials!
Page 18 #3
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/manual.pdf
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
3. Rules Knowledge
Be a rules expert! When a rule is “kicked” all crew members are equally to blame. When a coach requests a conference to review a perceived misapplication of a rule, use the rule book.

OHSAA Football Manual for coaches and officials!
Page 18 #3
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/manual.pdf
With all due rspect to OHSAA, their guidelines relate only to Ohio. Of course the above quote could be construed
to simply mean use what is, specifically, in the rule book to determine the proper decision, not necessarily to actually, physically use the rule book, asa prop, at the moment of discussion.

Does the OSAA manual also require, or even allow, reference to the NFHS Case Book, or NFHS Officials Manual to be of assistance in explaining approved interpretations?

Such information may often be referred to when discussing an issue of dispute regarding a rule application and this information is usually available through the experience and capability of the field officials, as is the case with the rule book itself.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty sure the OHSAA officials mechanics book even states that the HL shall carry the rules book!

Last edited by bigjohn; Tue May 26, 2009 at 01:02pm.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

There was an official that posted this on NFHS website.

http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimate...c;f=9;t=003666

Last edited by bigjohn; Fri May 29, 2009 at 09:59am.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I thought that was a bigjohn that posted that on the NFHS web site.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
John, without going back, is that the post that someone called BS on?
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

OHref
Member # 4754

Rate Member posted September 25, 2008 01:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe the mechanics book says the Headlinesman should bring one to the field, not sure. I know someone is suppose to. I also know the MAJORITY of the WH's I have ever worked with would never bring it out. Says "It looks bad". I don't agree. If the coach wants a rules conference for misapplication, how can you determine if the rule was misapplied without looking at a copy of the rule? When the coach/official conference was implimented, it was a point at all the State clinics in Ohio, that a Rules Book would be on the field. Have not heard about it since nor have I ever heard of a crew being critized for not having one available.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the coach wants a rules conference for misapplication, how can you determine if the rule was misapplied without looking at a copy of the rule?
A coach has the right to question a ruling, that does not mean a coach has some right to demand seeing anything, or having a ruling proved to him. In the world of adults, the coach questions a ruling, the referee considers the coach's position and then decides whether there has been a misapplication of rule. No debate is necessary, no argument nor detailed explanation is required, although often such may be provided as a professional curtesy.

A coach can provide information for a Referee's consideration to assist his decision making, and a smart Referee will accept and consider the information provided.

There's nothing suggesting anyone needs to "prove" anything, or have anything "proven to them. NF: 1-1-6 answers that question, "....The referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game". Coaches do not have to agree with a Referee's decision, nor is there any requirement they be persuaded by them, although that may frequently be the Referee's objective.

Coaches do however, have to accept thoise decisions and the Referee must accept the responsibility for making them.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Zip ties,&etc.

Some of us have never had those things happen but I like the ideas about the zip ties. My back up whistle sounds more like a frrrrrt.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

This has been an interesting thread.

Now when I work a game I will bring zip ties, back up whistles, a swiss army knife, bread crumbs (to find my way back to the locker room), food and water rations, a flare gun, and, my last will and testament.

However, under no circumstances will I ever have the audacity to bring with me the rules for the game which I am charged to officiate.

Got it.

These message boards are very helpful in making me a better official.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OHref
Member # 4754

Rate Member posted September 25, 2008 01:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe the mechanics book says the Headlinesman should bring one to the field, not sure. I know someone is suppose to. I also know the MAJORITY of the WH's I have ever worked with would never bring it out. Says "It looks bad". I don't agree. If the coach wants a rules conference for misapplication, how can you determine if the rule was misapplied without looking at a copy of the rule? When the coach/official conference was implimented, it was a point at all the State clinics in Ohio, that a Rules Book would be on the field. Have not heard about it since nor have I ever heard of a crew being critized for not having one available.

It sounds as if you are implying that the burden is on the official to prove to a coach that the the rule was not misapplied. I would suggest it's the other way around - the burden is on the coach to prove to the officials that the rule was misapplied. Hence, the coach better have a rule book with him if he wants to challenge.