The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Opinions on this........ (https://forum.officiating.com/football/53299-opinions.html)

Brandon Kincer Tue May 19, 2009 08:53pm

Opinions on this........

What are your opinions on carrying a rulebook with you on to the field?

waltjp Tue May 19, 2009 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon kincer (Post 603303)
what are your opinions on carrying a rulebook with you on to the field?

never!

HLin NC Tue May 19, 2009 09:16pm

Leave it in the car or bag for discussion in pre-game or post-game. NEVER take it on the field.

You shouldn't have room for it anyway- bag, flag, 2nd bag, 2nd flag, zip ties, golf tee, back up whistle, pencil, back-up pencil, car key, spare coin, game card, gum, game check, handwarmer packs, reading glasses- where am I going to put a rule book?

Welpe Tue May 19, 2009 09:19pm

You HLs carry too much crap. :)

What these guys said, don't carry one. In the middle of the game is the wrong time to be digging through it to prove a point.

From what I understand, Ohio, or certain parts, has a requirement that the chain crew have one with them, which is provided by the officials. Glad I don't work in Ohio in that regard.

waltjp Tue May 19, 2009 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 603309)
Leave it in the car or bag for discussion in pre-game or post-game. NEVER take it on the field.

You shouldn't have room for it anyway- bag, flag, 2nd bag, 2nd flag, zip ties, golf tee, back up whistle, pencil, back-up pencil, car key, spare coin, game card, gum, game check, handwarmer packs, reading glasses- where am I going to put a rule book?

Golf tee?

Brandon Kincer Tue May 19, 2009 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 603309)

Zip ties, Reading Glasses, Back up whistle?

waltjp Tue May 19, 2009 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer (Post 603321)
Zip ties, Reading Glasses, Back up whistle?

Zip ties - To facilitate a quick repair on a broken chain

Reading Glasses - You'll find out. Wait til your 45-50.

Back up whistle - Obvious, used to signal those behind you when you're about to back up.

:D

jaybird Tue May 19, 2009 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer (Post 603303)
What are your opinions on carrying a rulebook with you on to the field?

Don't!!

jaybird Tue May 19, 2009 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 603326)
Back up whistle - Obvious, used to signal those behind you when you're about to back up.

:D

... which is activated by escaping exhaust triggered by reverse action leg motion! :eek:

Ref inSoCA Wed May 20, 2009 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon kincer (Post 603303)
what are your opinions on carrying a rulebook with you on to the field?

no!!!!!

Welpe Wed May 20, 2009 12:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybird (Post 603340)
... which is activated by escaping exhaust triggered by reverse action leg motion! :eek:

You have to either be an umpire or have been an umpire at one time to utilize this technique. :D

Brandon, when I work HL, I use flourescent colored zip ties for two reasons, one is to mark the half way point on the chains (tape also works) and another is in case the chains break. I mark the half way point on the chains so I can quickly tell if a foul such as encroachment by the defense will result in a first down or not.

Ed Hickland Wed May 20, 2009 05:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 603311)
You HLs carry too much crap. :)

What these guys said, don't carry one. In the middle of the game is the wrong time to be digging through it to prove a point.

From what I understand, Ohio, or certain parts, has a requirement that the chain crew have one with them, which is provided by the officials. Glad I don't work in Ohio in that regard.

Or, Long Island!

Years ago our Interpreter disallowed a field goal when a R player tipped the ball in an attempt to block it but the ball still went over the crossbar. The "brains" that run our Association decided the rule book should be available at each varsity game.

waltjp Wed May 20, 2009 07:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Hickland (Post 603369)
Or, Long Island!

Years ago our Interpreter disallowed a field goal when a R player tipped the ball in an attempt to block it but the ball still went over the crossbar. The "brains" that run our Association decided the rule book should be available at each varsity game.

Would have made much more sense to replace your interpreter!

ajmc Wed May 20, 2009 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 603382)
Would have made much more sense to replace your interpreter!

That does make a lot more sense, in many ways.

HLin NC Wed May 20, 2009 10:01am

Zip ties (cable ties) will save your bacon if the chains break. As mentioned, the flourescent ones can also be used to mark the mid-point in the chains- thus allowing you to tell instantly if you are past the mid-point-you can then tell the R on a 5 yard penalty against B that it will be a first down.

Back-up whistle- technically, I wear my back-up on a neck lanyard and my primary is a finger whistle. I broke my primary once, seconds before the opening kickoff, so I had to borrow one off an assistant coach on my sideline. My spare whistle was in my bag in the WH's car. I never take the field now without two.

Golf tees- harder to use now on Field Turf but can be used to mark the box inside the 10 yard line in case he pulls out or also to mark the box on 4th down on a punt where we miss a penalty and the chains have moved. The mechanics manual now tells us to give the box man a beanbag to mark the box location inside the 10.

Reading glasses- as I told an assistant one time on my sideline when he questioned me why I took off my regular glasses after halftime (it was humid that night and they kept fogging up) "Hey, I can see the big stuff, like the ball or your tackle moving. I just can't read my card."