The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Free Kick After Fair Catch w/no time left?

I know in the NFL, the recieving team can request a free kick after FC with no time left on the clock. How about NFHS rule on this. I know you can attempt w/ a tee in NFHS, but what about if the fair catch occurs with no time left on the clock. Can the half/game be extended by the team wanting to attempt the free kick. (I am a baseball official, but I kick in a semi-pro football league, and wanted to know the rule in case it ever came up.)
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

There is no provision for extending the half or game under NFHS rules for that scenario. 3.3.3. If you are playing semi-pro aren't you using NFL rules?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

We used NFL rules last year. SInce most of our crews are HS crews from the area, there was some confusion on rule difference, calls were being enforced differently by different crews. So this year, they decided to revert to HS rules with a few NFL modifications, such as the runner has to be down by contact and kickoff from the 30, we also have a 2 minute warning. Thank you for the clarification on the time extension.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
There is no provision for extending the half or game under NFHS rules for that scenario. 3.3.3. If you are playing semi-pro aren't you using NFL rules?
If there's a flag for KCI and R takes an awarded FC on the last timed down of the period, a FK could be attempted during the untimed down.

If a FC or a awarded FC occurred, the offense accepted a defensive penalty following the 1st down play and time expired, the offense could take a FK during the untimed down.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
If there's a flag for KCI and R takes an awarded FC on the last timed down of the period, a FK could be attempted during the untimed down.

If a FC or a awarded FC occurred, the offense accepted a defensive penalty following the 1st down play and time expired, the offense could take a FK during the untimed down.

I'm not so sure about that. Why would they get an untimed down? Accepting the awarded FC doesn't provide for a replay of the down.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. Why would they get an untimed down? Accepting the awarded FC doesn't provide for a replay of the down.
The awarding of a fair catch, as described in the above play is one of the penalty options available. Accepting the KCI penalty would offer the same provision, of an untimed down, as accepting any other foul committed during the last timed down of a period.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I don't necessarily agree since by accepting an "awarded" FC there is no replay provision. On what basis are you extending the period. Please provide references.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree since by accepting an "awarded" FC there is no replay provision. On what basis are you extending the period. Please provide references.
NFHS 6-5-6 Penalty R may accept a 15-yard penalty from the previous spot and the replay of the down or choose to accept the penalty of an awarded fair catch at the spot of the foul.

And, NFHS 3-3-3a A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occurred: a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted, except for unsportsmanlike fouls, non-player fouls and fouls that specify a loss of down...
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I've thought this through and it makes sense now. If they didn't get another play after the awarded fair catch and it was replayed instead, K wouldn't kick the ball.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've thought this through and it makes sense now. If they didn't get another play after the awarded fair catch and it was replayed instead, K wouldn't kick the ball.
I think you're still missing the point. BskBallRef,s started out with the presumption, "If there's a flag for KCI and R takes an awarded FC" . That means the penalty for the KCI was accepted, and the fouled team is entitled to an untimed down.

Because of the unique options associated with an accepted FCI penalty, R gets to choose if they wish to begin, their untimed down, either by a snap or a free kick. If they choose a free kick, it can score 3 points if goes over the cross bar between the uprights.

If there is a foul during that untimed down, R would be given another untimed down, after penalty enforcement and again, they would have the option to put the ball in play by either snap, or free kick.

Example: R is behind by 2 points. R chooses an awarded FC after K commits KCI at the 50 yard line, and time expires during the kick. R chooses to start an untimed down with a forward pass, that is complete to the "K" (now "B") 35 yard line, and "B" roughs the passer.

"R" (now "A") accepts the penalty for roughing, which brings the ball to the "B" 20 yard line, and entitles "A" to another untimed down. Because the next untimed down will be a repeat of a down for which "A" had the choice to snap or free kick, that choice continues to the next untimed down.

"A" can elect to free kick from the "B" 20 yard line. "B's" free kick line will be their own 10 yard line, and if the kick passes over the crossbar and between the uprights, "A" has earned 3 points and a win.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

It would have been much easier to simply state that the only way you can have an "awarded" fair catch is by an accepted penalty, which forces extension.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
It would have been much easier to simply state that the only way you can have an "awarded" fair catch is by an accepted penalty, which forces extension.
The simplest explanation doesn't always get through the hardest of heads on Internet discussion boards.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonpitcher View Post
I know in the NFL, the recieving team can request a free kick after FC with no time left on the clock. How about NFHS rule on this. I know you can attempt w/ a tee in NFHS, but what about if the fair catch occurs with no time left on the clock. Can the half/game be extended by the team wanting to attempt the free kick. (I am a baseball official, but I kick in a semi-pro football league, and wanted to know the rule in case it ever came up.)
NFL rules differ from NFHS on this subject. Following is a summary of NFL rules pertainining to fair catch on the last play of a period and extending the period. NFL Rule 4, Sec 3, Art 11 (g) & (h).

If time expired on the play and the receiver signals and makes a fair catch, receiving team may elect to extend with a fair-catch kick. There is no option to snap from scrimmage. If the first or third period is not extended the receivers may start the suceeding period with a snap or fair-catch kick.

If time expired on the play and receiver does not signal for a fair catch, and he is interfered with, the receiving team will be awarded a 15 yard penalty and an option to extend, but must put the ball in play by a snap from scrimmage.

If time expired on the play and receiver signals for a fair catch, and is interfered with, receiving team will be awarded a 15 yard penalty and has the option to extend with a fair-catch kick or may put the ball in play by a snap from scrimmage.

Last edited by golfnref; Sun Mar 01, 2009 at 03:48pm. Reason: Rule clarification
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnref View Post
NFL rules differ from NFHS on this subject.

If time expired on the play and the receiver signals and makes a fair catch, receiving team may elect to extend with a fair-catch kick. There is no option to snap from scrimmage. If the first or third period is not extended the receivers may start the suceeding period with a snap or fair-catch kick.

If time expired on the play and receiver does not signal for a fair catch, and he is interfered with, the receiving team will be awarded a 15 yard penalty and an option to extend, but must put the ball in play by a snap from scrimmage.

If time expired on the play and receiver signals for a fair catch, and is interfered with, receiving team will be awarded a 15 yard penalty and has the option to extend with a fair-catch kick or may put the ball in play by a snap from scrimmage.
Can you help me accept your interpretation with reference to a rule? Looking at NF: 3.3.3 it states; "A period must be extended by an untimed down if duringthe last timed down of the period one of the following occured:

a. There was a foul be either team and the penalty is accepted, except for those fould listed in 3-3-4b (which lists the following):
1. USC
2. non-player fouls
3. fouls that specify loss of down, or
4. fouls that are enforced on the subsequent KO
as in Rule 8-2-2 (which relates to fouls
during a scoring play)

b. There was a double foul.
c. There was an inadvertent whistle.
d. If a TD was scored, the try is attempted.......

If (a), (b), (c) or (d)occurs during the untimed down, the procedure is repeated."

NF: 3.3.4 refers to when the period is NOT extended, much of which is a repetition of 3.3.3 from the opposite perspective.

The only reference I can find that would point to enforcing any of these penalties on the "subsequent" Kick Off is in the reference to NF: 8.2.2 which deals entirely with fould commited during a scoring play.

The "Penalty Section", under nf: 6.5 (Fair Catch) provides for the additional option of "accept the penalty of an awarded FC at the spot of the foul", for KCI, without any limitation as to when this option is available.

NF: 2.24.3 provides that, "A fee Kick is any legal kick which puts the ball in play........A free kick is used for a kickoff, for a kick following a safety, and is used if a free kick is chosen following a fair catch or awarded fair catch"

Could you direct me to where you found instructions that the option to choose a Free Kick, after enforcement of a KCI penalty is prohibited during the extension of any period by an untimed down. Thanks.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ajmc, Notice I said NFL rules differ from NF rules. I was quoting the applicable NFL rules. The original post referred to NFL rules. This is
why I was pointing out the differences. Sorry if I misled.