Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack (5) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
So you're saying that the "use hands in the manner described in this situation" is meant to apply only to "warding off the opponent who is attempting to block by pushing or pulling him", rather than to the entire sentence, which includes "may be a block"? I would say that'd be superfluous language then, because clearly if an opponent is not attempting to block you, you're not warding him off! And since it says the contact may be a block, as distinguished from an effort to ward off a block, clearly the case book is saying that the defense is allowed to make a block against an opponent who wasn't trying to block him first. .
Robert, I might suggest you re-read my 1st sentence, really carefully. ("Reading TOO much into a rule can be as dangerous as not reading enough).

As a game that interests participants between the ages of 6 and 60, distinctly different and targeted rules codes have evolved, that often addressing the same general circumstances, react quite differently to specific situations and talent levels. Trying to mingle, or justify, explanations at one level to apply to other levels, is a fool's game, and the game is a lot more logical when each rule code is applied, exclusively, to the level for which it was intended.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
As a game that interests participants between the ages of 6 and 60, distinctly different and targeted rules codes have evolved, that often addressing the same general circumstances, react quite differently to specific situations and talent levels. Trying to mingle, or justify, explanations at one level to apply to other levels, is a fool's game,
I don't think so, because the rules committees borrow heavily from each other -- and all the major codes started from a single one. Not only do they tend to lift language from each other, but also concerns, so that even when they aren't copying each other's wording, the trends propagate. See for instance the recent actions re horse collar tackling.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I don't think so, because the rules committees borrow heavily from each other -- and all the major codes started from a single one. Not only do they tend to lift language from each other, but also concerns, so that even when they aren't copying each other's wording, the trends propagate. See for instance the recent actions re horse collar tackling.
Robert, there's no question rules committees "borrow from each other" and adopt ideas and directions from one code to another, but when they do they specify how that idea, or direction, should be addressed within their particular code. You can't just always apply an explanation, or clarification from one code to another or always make the broad assumptions that these codes always "mean" the same thing, regardless of what they actually say.
Old Sat May 25, 2013, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

ART. 4 . . . An offensive blocker is a player who is blocking or in position to
block by being between the potential tackler and the runner

and then there is this rule.
Old Sat May 25, 2013, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

No need to bump a 2+ year old thread.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Closed Thread