The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 02, 2013, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Any Specifics yet?

Another change at high school football games next year will be the expanded use of communication devices. In specific situations, coaches, players and nonplayers will be allowed to use any form of communication technology.
Old Thu May 02, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

On the high school sidelines, help from an iPad | High School Sports | NewsObserver.com

I am not sure this was a football guy that said this.

Quote:
The coaches will not be able to use the devices to review decisions by game officials or to communicate with players while they are playing, but coaches will be allowed to use recordings on the sidelines and at the half.

Football coaches can show players opposing alignments. Basketball coaches can review scoring opportunities. Baseball coaches can show a pitcher an error in a delivery or give a tip to potential base stealers. A track coach can point out a flaw. All that and more.

“When the board met, it was apparent that the rule barring electronic communications couldn’t be enforced,” said Bruce Howard of the National Federation of High School Associations, which writes the high school rule book. “Then the question came up of why do we want or need the rule.”

Read more here: On the high school sidelines, help from an iPad | High School Sports | NewsObserver.com
Old Thu May 02, 2013, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I see Bob M had an update, I don't like it!

More detail on new rules
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post

More detail on new rules
What don't you like? What were you hoping for?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 02:24pm
Broadcaster

Quote:

More detail on new rules
"3-5-10d Last year, if a player’s helmet came off while the ball is live, and was not due to a foul by his/her opponent, that player had to leave the game for one down (unless halftime or an overtime intermission occurs.) For 2013, the rule was expanded to include subsequent dead ball action related to the down."

So if a player's helmet goes askew during a play and he takes it off himself, he must sit out the next play?
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
"3-5-10d Last year, if a player’s helmet came off while the ball is live, and was not due to a foul by his/her opponent, that player had to leave the game for one down (unless halftime or an overtime intermission occurs.) For 2013, the rule was expanded to include subsequent dead ball action related to the down."

So if a player's helmet goes askew during a play and he takes it off himself, he must sit out the next play?
Why do people do that? Just assume any change must means something absurd. No, of course not, unless he takes it off during the play or during "subsequent dead ball action related to the down". NOT after play has relaxed.

The point was that coaches were saying helmets were coming off RIGHT after the whistle, thus not during the play, so they didn't have to come out... this was not the intention of the rule. Now it is clear.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 07:06pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Why do people do that? Just assume any change must means something absurd. No, of course not, unless he takes it off during the play or during "subsequent dead ball action related to the down". NOT after play has relaxed.

The point was that coaches were saying helmets were coming off RIGHT after the whistle, thus not during the play, so they didn't have to come out... this was not the intention of the rule. Now it is clear.
And I believe if a player's helmet does not fit right, or the chinstrap isn't tight enough, and the helmet turns sideways during a play, he should have to sit out a play. Tighten the chinstrap, wear a helmet that fits, or face possible injury. That's absurd?
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I don't like the new tech rules. No restriction on use of film or pics.
Old Thu May 09, 2013, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you want restrictions, you think they should be enforceable or honor system?
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 09:36am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
You weren't one of those coaches that would growl about "worry about what's going on out on the field" when the sideline warning came out, were you Big J?

Imagine us having to flag for Improper Use of an iPad.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 09:52am
Judge of Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post

Imagine us having to flag for Improper Use of an iPad.
Would we get to confiscate it? :-)