The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 07, 2002, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
Ok here is a question for anyone who thinks that they are up to a challenge.

Back row blocker goes for a soft block, both hands are below the net and her hands are horizontal above her head, with her arms straight, the ball is contacted by her. Is this a legal play?

NF Rule: 9-5:C

Block - A play approximately arm's length from the net in which a player, whose hand(s) is raised above the head, contacts the ball near the top of the net in an attempt to :
1: Prevent the ball from crossing the net;
2: Return the ball immediately
3: Deflect the motion of the ball.

The big debate is - if this was a front row player would you call this a first contact or a block.

In both college and USA this is legal.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Maybe you need to define a "soft block", but in Fed this is a violation. At some point, I hope the Fed comes around to the thought that it is pretty darn hard to block if you are not above the net!
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Brian.

If a back row player is within arms length of the net, puts her hands over her head with palms facing the net as the ball is coming over the net, I've got a back row blocker violation in FED play.

I would also like a definition of "soft block".

And just out of curiosity, since I do not do college or USA, why is this action legal in those rulesets?
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
Soft Block

Soft block - this is taught to players who either can't get over the net or are late to block. The player stands as in a beach dig with his/her hands over their heads with their palms flat. Usually they are below the height of the net so it is always a first contact rather than a block. In both college and USA it is taught to the players to also prevent the offense from putting a ball straight down. This is also legal for a back row player to do in USA and college.

The big thing to judge is the attempt for NF. If a player is back row and you would have called a first contact type of hit for a front row player then is should be allowed for a back row player to do the same thing.

We disscussed this at length in our local association and came to the conclusion that the player must be attempting to block, so that keeps us out of hot water when making that type of call.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I agree with Brian.

If a back row player is within arms length of the net, puts her hands over her head with palms facing the net as the ball is coming over the net, I've got a back row blocker violation in FED play.

I would also like a definition of "soft block".

And just out of curiosity, since I do not do college or USA, why is this action legal in those rulesets?
In NCAA and USA a player is not blocking unless they contact the ball with at least some part of their body above the net. If you go up, then pull your hands down below the net, you're good.

With the soft block definition, I always sell that as a protective "defensive" move, and do count it as the first hit.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

I agree. It just simplifies situations, and does not open the door for arguments over interpretations, or questions about judgement, to simply say that this is an attempt to block by a back row player, and is, therefore, illegal.

Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to DncnRef Send a message via AIM to DncnRef
Back Row Blocker

Softblock, Hmmmm. Well I tend to look at what they are doing. Are they protecting their face from a crushing attack of an overpass or are they actually blocking an area of the floor. If I think they are blocking then I'll call them for a BRB but I usually give them the benefit of the doubt. Plus, many of their team mates may count this as a block and will pass, set and then hit the ball to the other court. This is when I whistle. I usually get some odd looks but I explain that we have a violation. It is either BRB or four hits and the ball is dead and belongs to the other team. Since I was uncertain as to whether it was a block or first contact, I go with the four hits and call it(the softblock) "first contact". If they play the ball over before the "fourth" contact then I blow it off as first contact. Plus NFHS has added "near the top of the net" to the block definition, so if the player is really tall and her hands are near the top of the net then the "softblock" might be just that...error on the side of leniency is what I was taught!
Bob