The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Just a couple of questions

I am new to the football forum and as a young coach I am looking for some clarification.

#1 In a punt situation, the punter fakes punt and instead of kicking it throws a pass down the sideline. The cb from the time of the snap is blocking the wr down the field. Obviously there is a bunch of contact and a pass interference is called. I had never seen this situation before. Is this a correct call?

#2 During a timeout, both teams come to the sideline. Defense goes out early, offense stays in huddle. At the time defense went back out on to the field all the players helmets were on. In the defense huddle, a player removes his helmet to adjust a pad, and quickly puts it back on. The offense is still near the sideline with their coach, Referee has not yet blown the whistle to end timeout to bring back the offense. This action was penalized 15 yds. Is this correct

I am always willing to learn, Thank for your interpretation.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I am new to the football forum and as a young coach I am looking for some clarification.

#1 In a punt situation, the punter fakes punt and instead of kicking it throws a pass down the sideline. The cb from the time of the snap is blocking the wr down the field. Obviously there is a bunch of contact and a pass interference is called. I had never seen this situation before. Is this a correct call? Yes

#2 During a timeout, both teams come to the sideline. Defense goes out early, offense stays in huddle. At the time defense went back out on to the field all the players helmets were on. In the defense huddle, a player removes his helmet to adjust a pad, and quickly puts it back on. The offense is still near the sideline with their coach, Referee has not yet blown the whistle to end timeout to bring back the offense. This action was penalized 15 yds. Is this correct No

NFHS rules?
More information may be needed for a correct ruling on #1.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I am sorry, NFHS
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

What level is this? There is no penalty for removing your helmet during a dead ball to adjust a pad.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

I observed the first one during a JV game, the second was a 8th grade game. The helmet was off for maybe 2-3 seconds at most. There was really no good explanation given at the time.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

#1 In a punt situation, the punter fakes punt and instead of kicking it throws a pass down the sideline. The cb from the time of the snap is blocking the wr down the field. Obviously there is a bunch of contact and a pass interference is called. I had never seen this situation before. Is this a correct call?
In an NFL game the gunners can be blocked and there can be no interference called if a pass is thrown to one of the gunners.

None of this exists in an NFHS game. Pass restrictions all apply just as on any other down.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ok thanks Rich, I just had never seen it called. I truly never thought about this. Now, how long does the cb have to block the gunner. 5yds, until the pass is released? It didnt help us that no one was yelling fake.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok thanks Rich, I just had never seen it called. I truly never thought about this. Now, how long does the cb have to block the gunner. 5yds, until the pass is released? It didnt help us that no one was yelling fake.
Great questions! Thanks for coming here and asking legitimate questions. I hope it makes you a better coach!

We had a varsity coach who ran a play like this and warned us about it before the game. He even went so far as to have the punter throw the ball high into the air so it appeared to be a punt in flight. While the others who have answered your question are technically right that this is DPI (and could support that call by rule), I'm inclined to give the defender a little leeway in this situation.

In our game, the gunner was not contacted at the LOS and got around the defender. He ran to the middle of the field where the pass was coming down and the defender made a play. He did not interfere but the coach felt that since he ran that play and told us about before the game (and warned me as the wing official before the play) that he should get the call. He would have gotten the call if the defender interfered but in this case he did not. Video supported our no-call as well.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:

#2 During a timeout, both teams come to the sideline. Defense goes out early, offense stays in huddle. At the time defense went back out on to the field all the players helmets were on. In the defense huddle, a player removes his helmet to adjust a pad, and quickly puts it back on. The offense is still near the sideline with their coach, Referee has not yet blown the whistle to end timeout to bring back the offense. This action was penalized 15 yds. Is this correct

CANADIAN RULING:
  1. Yes, PI can be called as the blocking restrictions have not ended until the ball is kicked.
  2. I would not penalize for this. Perhaps the helmet wasn't being worn properly. Safety first tells us that he can correct his equipment, without penalty. I would stop the game for an official's timeout.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He can't contact him after the receiver has moved past him and is no longer a potential blocker.

As others have said, there's no rule prohibiting removing the helmet under NFHS rules.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

In our play, it was down the sideline. Our cb had no idea there was a pass. The gunner ran down the field and turned to look for the ball and was basically tackled. It really made it difficult not to see a flag. I just didnt know if it basically being a punt if that made a difference. I just might have to add this to our playbook

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 10:52pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanhorse View Post
in our play, it was down the sideline. Our cb had no idea there was a pass. The gunner ran down the field and turned to look for the ball and was basically tackled. It really made it difficult not to see a flag. I just didnt know if it basically being a punt if that made a difference. I just might have to add this to our playbook
dpi
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

NCAA has a rule--I think it was added a year or two ago--that speaks directly to your first case. If the punter throws a high pass that simulates a punt, there's no DPI.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
He can't contact him after the receiver has moved past him and is no longer a potential blocker.

As others have said, there's no rule prohibiting removing the helmet under NFHS rules.
...or the legal forward pass has crossed the LOS.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In our play, it was down the sideline. Our cb had no idea there was a pass. The gunner ran down the field and turned to look for the ball and was basically tackled. It really made it difficult not to see a flag. I just didnt know if it basically being a punt if that made a difference. I just might have to add this to our playbook
It's a dangerous play if you are strictly relying on getting a DPI call as opposed to trying to complete a pass.