The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

ESPN Magazine A-11 Article

This weeks ESPN Magazine has an article calling the A-11 an Offensive revolution.

Here is the link:
An offensive revolution is coming to the NFL. Can anyone stop it? - ESPN The Magazine
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

I saw that it was in there and had a photo of our favorite coach. I haven't read the article yet, though.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

The article is somewhat misleading. It makes it sound like the innovation is that all 11 players can go downfield. It doesn't mention that after the pre-snap shifts, the same number of players can do downfield (5) It will just be hard to determine who those 5 eligible receivers are until the last second. It wouldn't surprise me to see some related innovation in the NFL but this will not happen. I'd be surprised if the high school rules are corrected to close this loophole to what it was intended for - SCRIMMAGE KICKS!
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

There is a reason we do not look to sports writers to understand basic rules.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

I hope every NFHS official sends a note to the national body expressing your opinion of this and of what the NFHS should do. Give them sample language if you wish. Once again, it is left to the officials to protect the integrity of the game.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

I read this article a few days ago and saw it as an example of coaching ingenuity but "Offensive Revolution".....Not. Hey, I get it, if I was the coach of, what appears to be, a lilly white (and I am white), undersized, man handled HS football team that was taken to the wood shed just about every game I would be searching for some way to neutralize my opponents as well especially since I lacked the ability to go head to head with them and be successful. The scrimmage kick formation or any variant of it as a base offense in college or the NFL will never happen and it should be stopped at the HS level. Players play football and people watch football in person or on TV because its a battle not a track meet or a magic show. I grew up in Baltimore and still live in the area. I am obviously a Ravens fan and I don't think we scored a touch down in the 12 years prior to this year, lol. Hell we won a Super Bowl with a defense, a kicker and an offense who's sole purpose was to give the defense time to rest. You can't swing dead cat around here without hitting something purple with Ravens on it, proof enough thats its not all about scoring, offense and trickery unless you have 40 players under 5'10" and 160lbs.

Last edited by newmdref; Wed Dec 24, 2008 at 08:27am.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Cue Kurt in 4....3....2.....1.....
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

I think I am going to vomit.

Has Kurt finished his 15 minutes of fame yet?

Last edited by Tim C; Wed Dec 24, 2008 at 11:35am. Reason: Spelling of The Dark Lord's name
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

What a foolish article. It mentions that the A-11 is not legal in the NFL and probably never will be. Why give it such prominence in the article. I also question the numbers that "hundreds" of high schools are using it. It mentions the inovation of having 2 QBs. Where the heck has this guy been? The Dolphins used 2 QBs back in the 70's. I can't remember his name but they had a receiver who had been a QB in college and used to run an option with him throwing the ball. My take on this is that sales are low and Kurt is trying to make a few bucks for Christmass so he managed to work his con game on a writer for ESPN.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The article is somewhat misleading. It makes it sound like the innovation is that all 11 players can go downfield. It doesn't mention that after the pre-snap shifts, the same number of players can do downfield (5) It will just be hard to determine who those 5 eligible receivers are until the last second. It wouldn't surprise me to see some related innovation in the NFL but this will not happen. I'd be surprised if the high school rules are corrected to close this loophole to what it was intended for - SCRIMMAGE KICKS!

Pretty sure you mean:

I'd be surprised if the high school rules are NOT corrected to close this loophole
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
The Dolphins used 2 QBs back in the 70's. I can't remember his name but they had a receiver who had been a QB in college and used to run an option with him throwing the ball.
Jim Jensen? Was a QB at Boston U? Played for the Dolphins from 1981-1992 and threw exactly 7 passes in his NFL career.

Of course, the "other" quarterback for all but two of those years was that Marino guy.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
Jim Jensen? Was a QB at Boston U? Played for the Dolphins from 1981-1992 and threw exactly 7 passes in his NFL career.

Of course, the "other" quarterback for all but two of those years was that Marino guy.
That's the guy! Thanks. Naturally they didn't have to go to it often with all of their other weapons. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a new concept.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

TimC and Overandback you guys seem to know these coaches or perhaps officiated their games. Whats your feedback on the article & the A-11?

Last edited by newmdref; Wed Dec 24, 2008 at 10:53am.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

I have never officiated a real football game in my life.

I have, however, read all of Kurt's drivel, watched two Oregon teams play the offense and watched films of other teams.

I also have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Kurt is simply mining a loop hole in the rules that we hope will soon be closed.

Regards,
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Haven't read the article yet.

Haven't seen the A-11 in Arizona, but we were briefed on it in the preseason and I heard there were maybe a couple of schools using it.

My only opinion on the coach in question is that he sure seems to stir up more indignation in this forum than I can personally muster, but that's fine. He found a new method of doing things, and that's fine, too.

I don't think the A11 is a travesty or makes a mockery of the game. It's an innovation, like the single wing was and the t-formation was and the shotgun was and trips and the h-back and any number of other things that have happened since Walter Camp. No more, no less.

It does seem to go against the spirit of the rule which is being exploited, but we have a process for that. In the history of this game, rules have been made, people have found ways around them, and the rulesmakers adjust. 'Twas ever thus.