The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Many of you have probably already been through the baseball article in Referee Magazine (March 03).

I noticed a statement that didn't make any sense to me (That, in itself doesn't take a lot but this one stood out.)

On pages 30 & 31 they are talking about crashes amongst the discussion of making a tag. The statement that caught me off-guard is this one at the top of page 31:

"A runner who has scored and then crashes into a fileder is allowed his run unless he advanced as a result of being forced from 3rd to home. - such a runner is still ejected (3-3-1n)." (italics are mine)

Rule 3-3-1n has to do with malicious contact: A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not: n. initiate malicious contact. Under the PENALTY section the rule book states "In (n), the ejected player is declared out, unless he has already scored."

Referee magazine doesn't always get everything correct but am I missing something here... I don't understand the italics.

Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Many of you have probably already been through the baseball article in Referee Magazine (March 03).

I noticed a statement that didn't make any sense to me (That, in itself doesn't take a lot but this one stood out.)

On pages 30 & 31 they are talking about crashes amongst the discussion of making a tag. The statement that caught me off-guard is this one at the top of page 31:

"A runner who has scored and then crashes into a fileder is allowed his run unless he advanced as a result of being forced from 3rd to home. - such a runner is still ejected (3-3-1n)." (italics are mine)

Rule 3-3-1n has to do with malicious contact: A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not: n. initiate malicious contact. Under the PENALTY section the rule book states "In (n), the ejected player is declared out, unless he has already scored."

Referee magazine doesn't always get everything correct but am I missing something here... I don't understand the italics.

IN the play described, it's also a FPSR violation -- thus, the run doesn't score.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, I think I understand... looking at rule 8-4-2b and assuming that FPSR is Forced-Play Slide Rule.

Because it was a force situation and the runner chose not to slide BUT instead he followed through past home plate into the defense, interfering with a potentially further defensive play... the runner is out, the ball is dead and the run he just scored is negated because of his interference and the potential for the defense to make another out.

I guess this assumes the catcher is making a play - like catching a thrown ball or has the ball and is attempting to reach home before the runner...

Am I thinking correctly Bob?

This seems very reasonable rather than everyone being safe and a run scoring.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Thanks, I think I understand... looking at rule 8-4-2b and assuming that FPSR is Forced-Play Slide Rule.

Because it was a force situation and the runner chose not to slide BUT instead he followed through past home plate into the defense, interfering with a potentially further defensive play... the runner is out, the ball is dead and the run he just scored is negated because of his interference and the potential for the defense to make another out.

I guess this assumes the catcher is making a play - like catching a thrown ball or has the ball and is attempting to reach home before the runner...

Am I thinking correctly Bob?

This seems very reasonable rather than everyone being safe and a run scoring.
Yes -- FPSR is "FOrce Play Slide Rule" -- as covered in 8-4-2b.

Whether to call the violation if F2 isn't making a play is a discussion best left to your local group -- it will be called differently in different areas and you don't want to stick out.

I think the latest FED interp is to call the violation if the illegal slide either Makes Contact *OR* Alters the Play.

So, in the example above (modified to be a force play), we'd have two outs and no run scoring.

Also, note that if it's a FPSR violation, other runners return to TOP.

If it's "just" malicious contact, runners return to the base occupied at the time of the interference.