The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Your best tip for a new official??

I'm working my way through the Redding guide and trying to memorize the rules in anticipation of taking my local league's training program for new refs this spring.

Two questions:

As an experienced ref, what's the best peice of advice you can give (or were given) that's not found in any rulebook?

Also, is there a progression of where refs are assigned? I don't mean from JV to Varsity, I mean what's the first position refs normally start at and what's the progression from there (Referee, Head Linesman, Line Judge, Umpire, Back Judge, Side Judge, and Field Judge). I'm thinking it makes sense for me to start watching the official whose position I will be in first.

Last edited by Johnny Cakes; Sun Dec 21, 2008 at 10:42pm. Reason: Learned that referee is not generic so changed wording to "official" (Thanks sloth!)
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

First question; being successful, which is necessary for enjoying this opportunity and progressing, is largely, if not totally, dependent on how well you learn the job and are able to do it. Learning it, and being able to do it well requires time, repetition and focus. Goals should be limited to being "very good", at your current level, before considering the next level.

Second question; concentrate on learning the position you are assigned, before focusing on another position. As you gain experience and competence in your assigned position, you will absorb the requirements of other positions. Repeat the process as your assignments change.

Unrealistic expectations creates nothing but frustration and anxiety. Although the learning process never ends, the initial phase lasts at least 10 years.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

First of all welcome.

Not sure how your local association trains and brings on new members but what I say is most important is learning the rules and their application. The Redding book is excellent for help with meeting that goal.

As for determining what position to observe, the answer is all of them but the referee. While some will disagree, the position least likely you will work starting out is the referee and the referee position does not encounter as much action as the other positions. I like to see most officials start on the wing where you quickly learn pre-snap mechanics and rules, forward progress and spotting the ball, when a down ends, etc.

You should listen to the decisions the referee makes and ask questions on why things were done the way they were done.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Get a journal. After every game (no matter what level) write down things you did good and things you could have done better. Also, you can write down any ruling you weren't sure of and go back and check it out in the book. I also write down the names of the players that might be going onto big colleges or something.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the above. I will add, find someone who can mentor you. If they can be someone who you will work with for games, even better. If not, hopefully they will come see you work several times, and will be available for you to call and talk to as often as you chose. You can use your journal to think of discussion topics.

Good luck!!
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 05:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

xdgczdw2ffq2cvq2cvfdxaqcaxac z azxzccfaqaqfcgvbqQCQVCQCVVVV
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cakes View Post
Also, is there a progression of where refs are assigned?
In our area, you don't get assigned to "positions" for subvarsity games. You show up and the crew hired discusses who will work what positions. I had to be prepared to work any position and also be ready to work 3, 4, or 5 man mechanics.

The first question is usually "what position do you normally work". My first few games I mostly worked the wings so I usually answered that way and worked most of the year as a wing. I got on a varsity crew my second year as a LJ and stayed there for 5 years. During those seasons, I tried to work the R or U during sub-varsity games to give myself experience at every position.

You'll eventually find a particular position that you enjoy the most but don't try to decide that your first couple years.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
In our area, you don't get assigned to "positions" for subvarsity games. You show up and the crew hired discusses who will work what positions. I had to be prepared to work any position and also be ready to work 3, 4, or 5 man mechanics.

The first question is usually "what position do you normally work". My first few games I mostly worked the wings so I usually answered that way and worked most of the year as a wing. I got on a varsity crew my second year as a LJ and stayed there for 5 years. During those seasons, I tried to work the R or U during sub-varsity games to give myself experience at every position.

You'll eventually find a particular position that you enjoy the most but don't try to decide that your first couple years.
Good advice here. I do the journal thing and find that it really makes a difference. I'd suggest starting as a wing official. In varsity, I started as a LJ and did that for 4 years, then one as a BJ and now I'm the referee on my own crew. I always thought I'd like being a back judge, but I found it not as enjoyable as the sidelines. All this said, I suggest being opportunistic.

Listen, observe and take it all in. There's nothig worse than a new official that thinks they know it all (which was me). You may know the rule and case book better then the rest of the crew, but there are a lot of things that aren't in the book that will make you a great official...these things you only learn by talking to other official and paying attention to you other crew members.

As a side, you want to sound smart. A referee is the guy that wears the white hat and signals the penalties to the press box; everyone else is refered to as officials. Most fan will generically refer to all officials as referees, but most officials will not.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

As for mentoring, try to hook up with a crew. Go with them to the games on Friday. I doubt any crew would not want to have you along. Absorb all you can from the pre-game, half-time and post-game. Walk the sideline with the wings and ask questions. Observe one position at a time and how they move on various plays. Talk to them about what their "keys" are before each play. I found that the toughest thing to do is figure out what to look at when there are 22 players moving at the same time. When you know your keys and what to look for, it becomes a whole lot easier to focus. Get a copy of their pre-game sheet and go over it before you get to the game site.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:43pm
Chain of Fools

Best piece of advise

Work every game you can, no matter the level. Nothing teaches more than reps.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Never feel comfortable with where you are. If you're not trying to better yourself, you're getting worse.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I agree about working as many games as possible. My first couple of years, if I didn't have a game that day, I would go find one and offer to work for free. Nobody ever turned me down. I probably did as many free ones as paid games, but the experience was invaluable.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Never feel comfortable with where you are. If you're not trying to better yourself, you're getting worse.
Along these notes, also call every play like you're being evaluated for the next level. Try not to take any plays "off", sometimes easier said than done especially right after an 80 yd sprint.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Best tip: relax. Take a breath.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post

Our association's training director is big on first and second years tasting every position. If you answer "I normally work the middle" he's likely to put you out on the wings. If you say "I don't like being an umpire" guess where you're working. He wants to make sure you get a full range of experience so that when you declare what position you're going to work as a third-year official, you're sure.