Trick play from Memphis-Louisville game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG1MfoWXpnU
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I'd flag this under FED rules.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming you would flag it because it's not in the spirit of the rules/game, and that's more than just natural deception? Other than that I can't see any reason to flag it.

If anyone were to flag it, how would you approach the coach after that, assuming he's upset you penalized him?
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

same as wrong ball play in Fed

The Case Book is clear: Any action or verbage designed to make the defense think the snap is not iminent is ... unsportsmanlike conduct
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 11:01pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mood Risin View Post
The Case Book is clear: Any action or verbage designed to make the defense think the snap is not iminent is ... unsportsmanlike conduct
I agree. So who here will be seeing this play this weekend?
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Many will see it, and many will be taken by surprise and allow it.

I'm always looking for ways to defuse crap like that. One thing you could do: grant the timeout. The coach will complain, and you can say: "Coach, if you go ahead with that trick play, it'll cost you 15 yards. This way, it costs only a timeout. Your choice."
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Friday night, I flag this as a referee...Saturday (or DIII JV game) I let it go.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
I'm assuming you would flag it because it's not in the spirit of the rules/game, and that's more than just natural deception? Other than that I can't see any reason to flag it.

If anyone were to flag it, how would you approach the coach after that, assuming he's upset you penalized him?
I'm betting the coach would be upset because I just told him that his latest brilliant idea was illegal. He'll probably go on about how revolutionary this idea is and how it's only for the kids and other fans and officials think it's great, but in the end it's still illegal. As BMR said, actions or verbiage designed...
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

To be honest I don't see the issue under NFHS rules. He didn't ask for a time out. His signal was a common one for when a QB wants the offensive coordinator to run through the signals again, and the snap was pretty much right away so no one was fooled.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

No one fooled?

Maybe you should watch the video again. Louisville is preparing to blitz 3 or 4 players on the edge. As soon as the quarterback turns, the stand up and relax. If the play had gone outside, they would have been caught of guard. Under fed, this is a situation that is clearly illegal and must be called. There are a number of things that can be done in NCAA but not in Fed, this is one of them.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

NCAA has an "obviously unfair acts" clause which could be used here IMHO
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Unless the QB said something, or someone on the sidline said something, I still have nothing. He just turned and walked away roling his hands as if he was looking for a new set of signals from the sideline.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Many will see it, and many will be taken by surprise and allow it.

I'm always looking for ways to defuse crap like that. One thing you could do: grant the timeout. The coach will complain, and you can say: "Coach, if you go ahead with that trick play, it'll cost you 15 yards. This way, it costs only a timeout. Your choice."
The thing was, that wasn't a valid time out signal. That was just a....rolling of the hands (I have no idea what he may have said while making that signal). But unless I hear the words "time out" from someone who can call a time out OR if I see the hands crossed in a T (preferably both), if they have a time out and the ball isn't live, I'm granting the time out.

Now, if NCAA has a rule akin to ours about verbalizations or acts designed to make the defense believe the snap is not imminent, then there's your out. And I'm not letting this go in an NFHS game or a Pop Warner game.

That would be a foul at the snap, right? Live ball foul? If they score, they score, but you're bringing it back?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Unless the QB said something, or someone on the sidline said something, I still have nothing. He just turned and walked away roling his hands as if he was looking for a new set of signals from the sideline.
So the QB walking away from the center rolling his hands as if he is looking for a new set of signals from the sideline does NOT communicate the snap is not imminent to you?
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:35am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
So if that is the case, how are his actions not actions that would lead the defense to believe the snap was not imminent?