The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimy2shooz View Post
Have to respectfully disagree with you sir. If action described above is not considered blocking what do you have?? If the initial block begins above the waist and the blocking continues below the waist..I have to call that blocking in book. And legal of course. Whatcha say?
I say you need to read the definition of blocking below the waist. When we discuss football, those are the terms and definitions that we use.

2-3-7
Blocking below the waist IS making initial contact below the waist from the front or side against an opponent other than a runner.

Rochesterref wrote, "No back can EVER block below the waist without a flag." He knows what the definition of blocking below the waist IS.

What you described does not meet 2-3-7, is not BBW, and is not what the discussion is about.

That is why he is correct and you are wrong.

No back can legally ever do what is described in 2-3-7, block below the waist.

Here endeth the lesson.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
CLPA = tackle to tackle, ± 2 yards from LS (ie. 2 yards behind or beyond the LS)
What if the line is unbalanced or has wide splits?
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
People are fully aware of Texas and those other states. No one is talking about states that do not use NF rules.
How can you be so sure about what "people" know and are "talking about"? Threads here may be read years later by readers who hit it in a search of the Web and know nothing about whether Fed's or NCAA's or anyone else's rules are being discussed.

Quote:
And based on previous posts from the person posting, he is not from Texas (Massachusetts, which my understanding are the only two states the NCAA Rules apply).
Best get out of the mindset that we're answering just the original poster's question, and consider that we're writing for the whole Internet.

Robert
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimy2shooz View Post
Have to respectfully disagree with you sir. If action described above is not considered blocking what do you have?? If the initial block begins above the waist and the blocking continues below the waist..I have to call that blocking in book. And legal of course. Whatcha say?
Hmm...it does become a little tedious to specify each time whether contact "below the waist" means the rulebook term or whether it has its general, non-technical meaning. I'd have to say that going by context, the poster who used that phrase meant it in its defined-term meaning. Just as usually references to "the ball" mean the one in use in the game, although it could sometimes in this forum refer to another ball.

Robert
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the posts.

1)Sorry about the preposition ‘on’ in the phrase “on the guard” ‘behind’ is more accurate.

2)Game not in Texas or Massachusetts.

3)It wasn’t a “usual” kick-out block in that they didn’t need to move the defender; they just needed him not to close down the hole.

4)I didn’t see this, but I think he must have been quickly ‘popping’ the defender above the waist before cutting him. That would make sense; I didn’t have the best look at it being on the sideline (bad angle) or behind the end zone (long distance). It just didn’t look right and now I’m pretty sure that was what was happening.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 10:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
How can you be so sure about what "people" know and are "talking about"? Threads here may be read years later by readers who hit it in a search of the Web and know nothing about whether Fed's or NCAA's or anyone else's rules are being discussed.

Best get out of the mindset that we're answering just the original poster's question, and consider that we're writing for the whole Internet.

Robert
Well it is obvious that I was correct as it related to the original post and what rules he was under.

Secondly I think if you want to write for “the entire internet,” then say that is what your answer is based on. Other than that most people try to stay within the topic that is being discussed. Nothing wrong with referencing other levels (I do it often), but most people here are not referring to NCAA Rules when discussing things they see in a game. And we usually know who the people are from Texas and they clarify they are not using NF rules.

Peace