The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Communication signal

Does anyone use a NFHS communication signal for LJ and HL when a ball carrier is running down the sideline? Was told to use punch signal, extended arm to indicate a player with ball is inbounds while running down sideline. If your association uses this communication signal (not referring to "last play was out of bounds" or "backward pass" or "player nearest wing is off line of scrimmage") then include the reasons why they are using such a signal and what is the main purpose.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Why in the world would you need to signal that he is inbounds during the play? As soon as he goes out, you blow the whistle, face the sideline, and stop the clock. I can't possibly imagine how silly you would look running down the sideline with you arm extended.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Why in the world would you need to signal that he is inbounds during the play? As soon as he goes out, you blow the whistle, face the sideline, and stop the clock. I can't possibly imagine how silly you would look running down the sideline with you arm extended.
I thought the exact same thing but I missed a meeting and was told meeting advised officials to use it during a game. Maybe this game official misunderstood what was spoken at our associations meeting.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

That's odd. If you haven't signaled to stop the clock, it's pretty obvious he's in bounds.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

On a play down the sideline that ends in the end zone we will provide a thumbs-up signal or something similar so BJ knows we don't have a spot down the sideline and he can signal TD. Of course the argument against that is that blowing the whistle and waving your arms is a very clear signal that the ball carrier went OOB. But BJ always waits for us to not kill the play prior to signaling TD. We don't use this signal the entire distance down the sideline, just at the point when the carrier enters the end zone.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker View Post
On a play down the sideline that ends in the end zone we will provide a thumbs-up signal or something similar so BJ knows we don't have a spot down the sideline and he can signal TD. Of course the argument against that is that blowing the whistle and waving your arms is a very clear signal that the ball carrier went OOB. But BJ always waits for us to not kill the play prior to signaling TD. We don't use this signal the entire distance down the sideline, just at the point when the carrier enters the end zone.
Or the R, if it's a punt return, interception return, or fumble return. I always wait for a thumbs up from the wing.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: As for the original post, I've never seen or even heard of the use of such a signal. Like the others have said, no signal means he's inbounds near the sideline; a whistle and a timeout signal means he's out of bounds. I can't for the life of me understand the value of such a signal.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I would think the deep official (BJ or R on an interception) watching a player cross the goal line near the sideline would instinctively make eye contact with the official pursuing the action along that sideline. In the absence of a TO signal somewhere up the line, the presumption should be that the play was still live when the runner crossed the goal.

I would also presume, the sideline official who has observed a player step on, or outside, the sideline would continue signalling TO until everything stopped, or the deep official picked up, and repeated back, the signal.

I normally don't have a problem with any signal that actually helps clarify a situation, but I just don't see any value in this suggested signal, in as much as it to mean anything the deep official has to look to the sideline official anyway and seeing, or not seeing, the TO signal somewhere upfield tells the entire message.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever subtle signal (eye contact, thumbs up, point, whatever) a wing and a back judge might make to say "I got him inbounds" and "I got him over the goal line" so that you are on the same page before a touchdown signal is made, that's absolutely the way to go.

Signalling that a guy is still inbounds seems superfluous to me.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I don't even understand the thumbs up. Wouldn't you blow your whistle the second he steps on the line? The BJ shouldn't be waiting for a TO signal. the wing should blow his whistle as soon as someone goes OOB, then continue until he is at the spot and signal TO. If it's close to the pylon the BJ shouldn't be signally anything anyway. There is no rush to signal a TD. The wing should get to the pylon and make the signal.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: As for the original post, I've never seen or even heard of the use of such a signal. Like the others have said, no signal means he's inbounds near the sideline; a whistle and a timeout signal means he's out of bounds. I can't for the life of me understand the value of such a signal.
There is a communication signal in the NFHS book to let others know the play was dead in bounds along the sideline... "wind clock twice then stop clock. Indicate progress was stopped inbounds and first down has been attained (official’s manual pg 24)." Other game officials will use this signal even if no first down was attained but to indicate we are still inbounds along the sideline.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
I don't even understand the thumbs up. Wouldn't you blow your whistle the second he steps on the line? The BJ shouldn't be waiting for a TO signal. the wing should blow his whistle as soon as someone goes OOB, then continue until he is at the spot and signal TO. If it's close to the pylon the BJ shouldn't be signally anything anyway. There is no rush to signal a TD. The wing should get to the pylon and make the signal.
I think it's just a final check to make sure. I've always been told that you can take an extra second on the back end to make eye contact just in case and it's better than having the guy say "Oh, shoot, wait, I actually had him out back here, my bad. Sorry."
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1784 View Post
There is a communication signal in the NFHS book to let others know the play was dead in bounds along the sideline... "wind clock twice then stop clock. Indicate progress was stopped inbounds and first down has been attained (official’s manual pg 24)." Other game officials will use this signal even if no first down was attained but to indicate we are still inbounds along the sideline.
REPLY: Yes...but that's used when the play is over and is a signal to the ECO to keep the clock running. You don't see the wing traiiling the play winding the clock all the way down the sideline while the ball is live, do you?
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: Yes...but that's used when the play is over and is a signal to the ECO to keep the clock running. You don't see the wing traiiling the play winding the clock all the way down the sideline while the ball is live, do you?
Heck no to your question. I have never seen such an action and duh... I do understand the proper usage of the wind the clock signal. Please re-read my previous quotes as I never posted any such statements that a wing official would be trailing the play winding the clock all the way down the sideline while the ball is live. Why did you assume to comprehend such nonsense? My original post referred to a punch extended arm communication signal told to me to be required by wing during live ball with runner advancing along sideline and I wanted feedback from others if they ever heard of such a requirement. You’re coming across from left field with your reply.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1784 View Post
Heck no to your question. I have never seen such an action and duh... I do understand the proper usage of the wind the clock signal. Please re-read my previous quotes as I never posted any such statements that a wing official would be trailing the play winding the clock all the way down the sideline while the ball is live. Why did you assume to comprehend such nonsense? My original post referred to a punch extended arm communication signal told to me to be required by wing during live ball with runner advancing along sideline and I wanted feedback from others if they ever heard of such a requirement. You’re coming across from left field with your reply.
REPLY: I never assumed that you or anyone else did this. I was using it as an analogy of signaling while the ball is live. Of course winding the clock during the play is ridiculous. But you were the one who brought it up as a means of comparison to the signal in your original post. I just pointed out the difference--that being that the signal you proposed was used throughout the play, whereas the one you mentioned as a comparison is simply used when the ball becomes dead. If my reply appeared to be coming from left field, I apologize.