The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

I am an umpire in a new crew this year. Friday our crew officiated a scrimmage. It got old telling players to "use the ground to get up", "rolloff easy". Can anyone give me suggestions of what they tell players after the play is dead? Also some suggestions of what umpires say to players that are going at it after the whistle would be appreciated. A new official would like to hear some suggestions from some veterans. Thanks
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

I have used "easy up", "plays over, let him up". These are not great lines they just mix it up a little.

Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Start off by saying these thing early in the ball game with both teams on offense. I then generally back off from it throwing it oput there from time to time as a reminder or if someone does push off a player down at the bottom of the pile.

Also if players are continuing to mix it up after the whistle has blown, give your whistle a couple short then a 3rd longer blow of the whistle. I usually then tell them to knock it off, play is over. Same thing if they are wanting to mix it up and the play is down field a ways, I will just holler at them to knock it off.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

You need to take charge early in the game. But also let them know when they made a good play also. Nice hit 58 or Good job keeping your hands inside 62. Those kind of things help you communicate with them later on.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: First of all, I'm not regularly an umpire though I ususally do end up working that position once or twice each varsity season. While it can get old having to say that over and over, I think it serves a bigger purpose. Even if I see them getting off the ground "nicely," I'll still say something--anything, even if it's your "use the ground to get up" line--or PAUMP's "nice play" line. It lets them know you're there--you're watching. That serves a purpose greater than telling them how to unpile. It can keep bad stuff from happening.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

36 year veteran umpire here--
concur with the usual stuff about
getting up easy--also
"ball's away" on pass plays and
"kick's away" on punts, etc. !!
Also when I have an "assassin"
(a defensive player out of control
who is headhunting) I like to talk to
him about "playing smart" and
"the game is only tackling and blocking"
stuff like that to help him keep from
getting a major penalty.
The disciplined players need little
attention, but the umpire can go a long
way at keeping an undisciplined player under
control.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I save the warnings for when they're required. I will get in the pile and ask for the ball and generally let the players know that I'm there. (I'm hard to miss)

If the players continue to push off while unpiling I'll speak to the captain. If that doesn't solve the problem I'll flag it. I'm not there to constantly nag players to behave properly and preventative officiating does have its limits.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Always talking to players

I constantly remind the players about sportsmanship.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Often positive praise is more effective than negative, however we should be constantly talking to the players so they know we are there and watching. "Balls away, kicks away, we're done, roll off, up easy, push off the ground," etc... are all great preventative things to say and we need to constantly do so. Anytime you can give them a positive on something they did, it will prevent more negatives than you can imagine. They players love it when you give them a complicment, especially if it is for sportsmanship.

I tell the captains these exact words during our captains meeting. "Guys, when the QB throws a pass, I will yell ball's away, and I will yell it loud, you will here me. After that, the QB should not be hit. Now I know you cannot stop your momentum on a dime, but I had better see you letting up on your contact because if you don't, or if you drive him into the ground, we will have a flag EVERY time. It is very important that you go back and tell the rest of your defensive players this so a late hit doesn't hurt your team." It takes only about 20 seconds, which is more time than I spend on any other single part of my pregame meeting, but I see how well it works in the game. I had only one RTP over the last few seasons and EVERY game I see guys letting up and then I tell them "good job" every time they do. Often they even will look at me after they let up as to make sure I know they did as I asked. It has been a very good thing over my years as the R.