The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

New Communication Signal

(Couldn't remember my old login, so I had to create a new one ... duh)

I saw a thread started earlier about a "new signal" by the PU (pointing with the left on a swing, and signaling "strike" with the right) ... which made me remember a game this past season.

This is in regards to communication signals between PU and crew members ...

I'm U1 of a 3-man crew. It's my first college game. I'm the rookie, so I'm on my toes for hijinx from my mentors (they had already talked the ballboy into running out the grungiest most nasty balls he could find, when I had the stick and called for baseballs the day before).

So I'm in 'A' when the leadoff batter singles. I stay in 'A,' and glance down at my PU. I see him flash the signs for "one out, I'm headed to third if the ball goes through the infield" ... but then he waves his hand in front of his face and nods at me.

I'm thinking, "we didn't cover THAT sign in our pregame," so I glance over at my partner set up in 'B,' and he flashes me the regular rotation sign. We're on the same page.

On ball four, the next batter heads my way. Now we have R1 and R2, nobody out. PU flashes his signs: "No outs. Infield fly. Tag-up, I'm headed to third. Otherwise, I'm staying home" ... then waves his freakin' hand in front of his face AGAIN and nods at me AGAIN. I glance over at my partner who has slid over to 'C,' and he flashes the reverse rotation. Yep.

Between games, I ask the PU about the wave thing.

Yeah, you guessed it ...

The Catcher had gas.

(Well, he blamed it on the Catcher, anyway.)

So, on a serious note ...

Does it bother any of you, the amount of communication signals some guys like to go through?

I swear, when I'm working HS with this one guy and he's on the bases ... it's all about him and how many signs he can throw me, just to say, "Hey, Moms and Dads in the stands, I must give 17 signs every time a runner changes positions ... look at me!"

And, yes, this guy gets playoff games as well.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
When I'm BU, I just let the PU give me the signs, and tap the side of my hat when he's done to tell him I got them all, especially when PU is a control freak and gives me exactly 1514.28 signs per inning, on average.