The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

We just had a substitute who used this signal. Our back judge liked it. How about this situation.

Long run. BJ has him in. LJ has him out but whistle slips out of his hand and there is a short delay in blowing it. In the meantime, the BJ goes up. Now you have a mess.

This signal is no different than the thumbs up or the nod or whatever. It allows the BJ to signal more quickly and eliminates the bad result that I described. I'm okay with it.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes we signal. Yes I make eye contact with my wings. Yes I wait for some indication from them before I go up with a TD. I have gone up with a TD while assuming I had a TD, only to have my partner signal the player out at the 2 yard line. If it is a TD now, it is a TD 10 seconds from now. If you go up with a TD, it is going to be hard to take it back without some explaining to do. For all I know my partner might have been knocked down or is a little slow and I want some confirmation so I do not make a quick TD call.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post

Long run. BJ has him in. LJ has him out but whistle slips out of his hand and there is a short delay in blowing it.
Did the LJ stop and mark the spot?

I've had trouble finding the whistle, too, sometimes. But I'd stop and get the spot and kill the clock and make the whistle the tertiary thing. And if the BJ saw me do that, I'd hope he'd wonder why.

Granted, this all happens at speed and with varying levels of experience on a crew, so it may not be realistic. In any case, like Rut says, a few seconds ain't a deal-breaker if it means the difference between looking cohesive and looking scattered.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 03:48pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I just

make eye contact with my BJ and nod if he is in, otherwise I am signaling the OB spot.