The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 02:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljet View Post
I never said I am going to throw beer on Hochuli, I would not risk the consequences on him the guy messed up, its the 65000 other people in the stands who may not feel that way

I think Eddie Big Guns has demonstrated to be a good official during his 19 year career, and is one of the better officials out there. just not recently

and I am not bashing the MNF crew, it was an obvious illegal block and it was in plain view, I was just surprised that everyone let it go or missed it. I am tired of seeing DL get their knees blown up wether or not they are a favorite player of mine.

The purpose of my thread was to point out that the NFL needs to stop worring so much about protecting QB but protect all players in vunerable situations.

Im sure most of you didnt watch the game though since none of you commented on the purpose of my post which was the illegal block and you all try to busy trying to bash me.
I asked you a simple question. What was done that was illegal? Just saying you "thought" it was illegal does not cut it here. We usually like facts or at the very least describe the play in question. You have done neither but bash the crew without even giving an example of what was missed. That suggests to me that you do not know the legality of the situation, you just came here to ***** about it. That is fine, but if you had offered more information, you might not have the tags at the bottom related to this tread suggesting you are a fan boy or that you are clueless to this issue. It is really easy, what was done illegal that the crew missed. We need more than "Luis gets cut by a NY Jet RB." That is legal in the NFL and a lot of situations, something specific would make it illegal. I am going to guess you have no idea what that would be.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 06:38am

[QUOTE=fljet;539406] The purpose of my thread was to point out that the NFL needs to stop worring so much about protecting QB but protect all players in vunerable situations. [\QUOTE]

I'd like to hear a description of the play too. You're saying you saw and called this one a foul so give us the detail which made it illegal. It will be good practice for you as you move up because that's what you have to do....write up specific descriptions. If you can't do it then everybody will know you're blowing smoke. Not that they don't already think so.

Second. To your line about the purpose of your thread recopied above. You seem to be saying that the importance of protecting players other than the QB is somehow an NFL policy. Have officials been told that the safety of non-QB positions are definitively to be placed on the back burner and are to be ignored? Some clarification on your part is needed as to what you mean.

Last edited by sj; Fri Sep 26, 2008 at 06:46am.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Im sure most of you didnt watch the game though since none of you commented on the purpose of my post which was the illegal block and you all try to busy trying to bash me.
How do you come to the conclusion that most did not watch the game? Maybe it's obvious that you are just trying to bash officials and you were too drunk to really pay attention to the game since you don't want to comment on any of the mechanical elements of the play?
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

A cut on a defensive player…. Oooook. That is often legal. Did this happen outside the box? Do you mean a chop block? Was the defender engaged with another blocker? These are the things they are talking about when they say describe the play.

As to your philosophical point, the NFL is bending over backwards to protect its players from injury. Many think they are cluttering the rules due to fan pressure. Outside of all the QB protections, receivers and ball carriers have new protections as well. (defenseless position, horse collar, etc.) I don’t know what you are advocating… a no cut blocking rule?
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkishowl20 View Post
A cut on a defensive player…. Oooook. That is often legal. Did this happen outside the box? Do you mean a chop block? Was the defender engaged with another blocker? These are the things they are talking about when they say describe the play.
There is no "Box" in the NFL.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unbelievable, the nfl should be more worried about protecting Defensive players has they generally only care about QB's
QBs sell tickets. A lot more people want to see great QB play than great LB play (and, yes, I know their is a minority of people that would prefer to see the LBs). Now, I am not saying it's right or fair how the NFL protects QBs more than other players, but the NFL is a business, and they have made a choice that is best for business. Personally, I think some roughing the passer calls in the NFL are kinda light, but that is how they want it called. The NFL did not become the most popular sports league in America by accident. Also, I agree with JRutledge...tell us what actually happened, not just what you think you saw.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
tell us what actually happened, not just what you think you saw.
Quote:
I saw it from the loge level over 200 yds away at the opposite end zone and that was after about 10 cold ones.
Under these circumstances I'm pretty sure "what actually happened" will not be what he "thinks he saw."
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Under these circumstances I'm pretty sure "what actually happened" will not be what he "thinks he saw."
My point exactly....of course I am not sure that the former is possible.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
QBs sell tickets. A lot more people want to see great QB play than great LB play (and, yes, I know their is a minority of people that would prefer to see the LBs). Now, I am not saying it's right or fair how the NFL protects QBs more than other players, but the NFL is a business, and they have made a choice that is best for business.
The XFL discovered this. Unintended consequences. They tried to say, "See, you'll like this because the quarterback can't be a nancyboy, he'll take real hits like Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr used to." Only quarterbacks today aren't used to that, and the XFL wasn't exactly blessed with great quarterback depth to begin with (their front-line guys weren't that great, either) and quickly discovered the very real (competitive and financial) reasons that you protect the quarterback in this day and age.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.