The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Okay.

Point is, though, as we all know and as (surprise!) everyone else is just finding out, the NFL doesn't just sit idly by and ignore mistakes, no matter what the call, no matter who makes it, no matter what the situation. As far as I know, the procedure is the same for everybody, but if you google "NFL official grades" or something, you see eleventymillion media stories about how this appears to be some big revelation.

Hochuli's not going to get fired for it, there's still 15 weeks left in the season for him to achieve sufficient grades to work in the playoffs, you would think.

I'd be real curious to see if he works a game in San Diego anytime in, say, the next millenium, though.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 02:55pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
I'd be real curious to see if he works a game in San Diego anytime in, say, the next millenium, though.
I think they should send him back next week.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Mike Perria said on Dan Patrick show that he would need a lot of vodka to send Ed back to San Diego in the re-match and he said that it is against policy to have the same crew do the same 2 teams. In the same interview he said that he needs his best officials out there and Ed is still one of his best guys.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

In the micro sense, it's too bad that a missed call probably contributed directly to the outcome of the game. In a macro sense, this event, if anything, serves nothing but to increase perception about the integrity of the game. Hochuli's response, both immediately on the field and after, and the league's handling of the situation, confirm what everyone on this board knows but that the general public doesn't and which plague the other 3 professional sports (baseball to a lesser degree than basketball or hockey) -- these guys don't give a crap who wins and want nothing more or less than to get it right.

This incident can and should lead to more discussion about how to improve accuracy and whether the rules need to be changed to keep plays alive longer given the potential for review. But that's secondary. As others have said, there's nothing that can make accuracy 100 percent. What matters is how the official and the league respond.

I think there should be a term or pithy expression for the murphy's law aspect of these situations, though -- a missed call always seems to guarantee the result. Once the incident happened, was there any doubt that Denver would win the game? Just like the UW call last week on the ball thrown in the air -- would it be too much for the kid just to make a 30 yard field goal? Of course it doesn't work that way.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
A previous poster quoted something that he was even answering his hate email. I suppose I could understand that the league was forwarding the USPS mail that they received to him, assuming it was sent to Ed c/o the NFL. But how is anybody emailing him? Last I saw, officials emails are not posted as a general rule. Does he have a site due to his well-deserved noteriety (before this I mean)? Or is Paul Tagliabue forwarding email on the subject to him? Somewhat curious.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

If you search his name you will get his email. Hat's off to him... this too will pass........
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falsecut View Post
A previous poster quoted something that he was even answering his hate email. I suppose I could understand that the league was forwarding the USPS mail that they received to him, assuming it was sent to Ed c/o the NFL. But how is anybody emailing him? Last I saw, officials emails are not posted as a general rule. Does he have a site due to his well-deserved noteriety (before this I mean)? Or is Paul Tagliabue forwarding email on the subject to him? Somewhat curious.
He's a partner in a law firm with publicly-available contact information. Part of the joy of being very recognizable.

Plus, some fanboys went nuts Sunday night posting said email address, making it that much easier for overgrown eighth-graders to send vitriol his way.

But, yes, his notoriety has inspired an (unofficial) web site.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 04:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
But, yes, his notoriety has inspired an (unofficial) web site.
I knew better, but I went anyway.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano View Post
I thought instant replay was instituted to correct obvious mistakes.

Here we have the most obvious blown call in recent memory and despite all the technology and experience in the replay booth the system is impotent.

If that call stood despite being so obviously wrong what is the point of reviewing ANY call?
Go figure. According to the records the ruling on the field was a fumble and a San Diego recovery challenged by replay.

After replay it was ruled an incomplete pass. The system worked albeit not for San Diego.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 08:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano View Post
I thought instant replay was instituted to correct obvious mistakes.

Here we have the most obvious blown call in recent memory and despite all the technology and experience in the replay booth the system is impotent.

If that call stood despite being so obviously wrong what is the point of reviewing ANY call?
I'm not even a football ref, and I can even see how stupid this statement is.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

get off eds nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Obviously you aren't an official. Our integrity is much better than that. Missed calls are never good, but in the eyes of officials, phantom calls are much worse. 2 wrongs don't make it right. Suppose the chargers sacked the QB instead of the whistle being blown. Guess what. The chargers still have to stop Denver twice. The chargers still would have lost. If you are upset at the officiating this why don't you walk in our shoes for 1 game. You'd freeze up and wouldn't have a clue. I know, I was a fan once. I quit complaining and became an official. Not long after that I realized that officials are right the majority of the time, and most of the things I complained about were flat out wrong. Fans don't know the rules, they don't no the intents or philosophy of the rules. You see, you complain about holding on some plays, but the fact is, what you are seeing may be perfectly legal.
I am a san diego fan, however I was pointing out that there were multiple missed calls in the game, and the equipment failure, which is extremely hard to handle. Which is why San Diego fans are very upset. Two of the issues resulted in HUGE momentum shifts which are difficult for a VISITING team to overcome. If you know as much as you think you know about football it is a game of momentum.
I am an official and do understand the game moves a hundred miles a minute, I just expect NFL referees not to make such a petty mistake. A good analogy for Ed's mistake would be if I am a Bank teller and I cant count. Good whistle control is one of the top keys to being a good official.
I must admit Ed has never been a favorite of mine, He is the most recognized official due to his explanations and his biceps.

The amount of time the media has spent on this deal proves how bad the chargers got screwed, everyone keeps saying oh your defense should have stopped them but again, if the call was handled properly and they were awarded the turnover they deserved, then we are not having this conversation.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Smile Ed in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
If ed works a game in San Diego this year, and commits any mistakes, he will undoubtedly get a shower of beer when exiting the field from the west end zone, he better get mike phelps to give him some swimming lessons.

If it were the raiders he would get a shower of human waste, which is much worse. Or stabbed, like the Dolphins fan a few years ago.

If it was at the meadowlands maybe a barrage of snowballs with batteries.

etc.

He will never be welcomed in the "Q" again.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 12:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljet View Post
The amount of time the media has spent on this deal proves how bad the chargers got screwed, everyone keeps saying oh your defense should have stopped them but again, if the call was handled properly and they were awarded the turnover they deserved, then we are not having this conversation.
It is true that if the call was not made, then we might not be in this situation. However, it is also true if the Chargers stopped the same play being, run twice (Denver lost yardage by the way on the IW) then we are not likely having this conversation either. It works both ways and that is what most here are saying on this topic. No one is saying that this was not an unfortunate call. However, there were many things that took place in the game and when a team scores over 30 points on your team and comes from behind, at some point you have to look yourself in the mirror. At least I am wondering when Charger fans will look their team in the mirror just as Washington needed to last week.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 06:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljet View Post
I am an official .........
No, you're not. You're a whiny, run-of-the-mall standard-issue fanboy masquerading as an official, just like SanDiegoSteve. There's major differences, one being that real officials don't want any part of fanboy-officials. That's because we're afraid to turn our backs on 'em.

Sorry, but there it is......
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 06:29am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
No, you're not. You're a whiny, run-of-the-mall standard-issue fanboy masquerading as an official, just like SanDiegoSteve. There's major differences, one being that real officials don't want any part of fanboy-officials. That's because we're afraid to turn our backs on 'em.

Sorry, but there it is......
Do you mind starting a poll?