The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

cheap West Vest

For any of you who are interested...Amazon has the original brand new "West Vest" on sale for $29.99. I know it's pretty bulky and lacks in protection in the under arm area, but you can't beat that price. You could even sell it on ebay for at least $80 or $90. Other websites are selling it for $100 plus. Click on the link below to see.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-West-Ve...sporting-goods

By the way, has anybody tried out the Champion or Pro-nine chest protectors that resemble the honig's K1? I figured they are not as good quality as the K1, but I was thinking about getting one for when I do younger kids. Also, what's a good, cheap pair or leg guards? I already have the west vest gray shins, but was looking for something less bulky for when I do youth ball. Thanks alot

Luke
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking the original was by Douglas. But I guess it's still a good buy for what it is.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

I ordered a couple of them, and I'll report back when I get them. Delivery will be after Christmas.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I use the Pro 9 CP and am happy with it overall. Much less $ than the Honig's K1.
Ordered the inexpensive WV tonight-should get by end of Dec. 06.
Curious how this will compare to my Pro 9 CP.
Sam
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

DG: I think the original is by Douglas...my mistake. It just seems when I see this model on other websites it is labeled as "original". But in reality, this one and the Douglas one are pretty much the exact same thing.

For those of you who are ordering them, let us how how they turn out. For some reason I want to be skeptical b/c how could they sell such a quality, expensive chest protector at such a cheap price? Also, it has the suggested retail at only $65, while other websites have it as at least $90 and many well over $100. I would order one, but I already have the west vest platinum and I love it (though for some reason I can't get the top to tighten anymore and need it to be a little tighter...I'm not small...about 6'0 190lbs.)

thanks for the advice on the pro-9. Surely there has to be some catch there as well. How can you sell a chest protector that resembles the K1 for about $100 cheaper? The quality surely isn't as good. Also, please give me some leg guard feedback, I don't want to pay $70 or $80 for a pair b/c I already have a good pair, but I'm looking for a pair to wear for youth ball and am willing to spend about $40 (does anybody have an opinion on the itech umpire shins...I believe they are discontinued now). Thanks alot, keep us updated on the west vest on amazon.

Luke
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmathews19
For those of you who are ordering them, let us how how they turn out. For some reason I want to be skeptical b/c how could they sell such a quality, expensive chest protector at such a cheap price?
I have ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon and I have never had a problem.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

I ordered one last night. It is supposed to arrive by Friday. I am happy with the one I have but my oldest son could use a new one, and if it arrives by Friday it will be good timing. We will see.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 12:03am

The one on Amazon is the exact same one that sells for $109.00 on Baseball Plus, so it is probably a really good deal.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Guys, ask yourselves why the price is so low? These are the original WV markings, probably made by Wilson. If they are, they are discontinued. This means no support! If something breaks or fails, you are on your own!
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, for thirty bones delivered, I'll take that chance. My old WV hasn't needed much service in the last five years. I'm keeping one as a backup, and donating the other to my local LL youth umpire program.

Let's see, if I report a $109 donation to the IRS, I'm just about even......
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Guys, ask yourselves why the price is so low? These are the original WV markings, probably made by Wilson. If they are, they are discontinued. This means no support! If something breaks or fails, you are on your own!
You could buy one to wear and two for parts and still come out ahead.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Many day to day decisions are about risk. I was on a conference call today discussing a million dollar decision. Someone said "what if all our information is wrong and we select the wrong product". My response was "throw 'em in the ocean and start over". You use the best information you have and sometimes evaluate risk. And $30 is not a lot of risk. I ordered one for my son. If it is crap I lose about the same amount as a bet on a football game.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

I simply have a problem donning a $29 piece of equipment that is supposed to protect me from a 90 MPH fast ball!
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I simply have a problem donning a $29 piece of equipment that is supposed to protect me from a 90 MPH fast ball!
I would be too if the $29 item was a long sleeve turtleneck. But this is supposed to be a quality product, ON SALE. My chest protector cost $85, regular price, and I have no problems with it and have taken some 90 MPH fast balls off it. So if this one is equal to the one I have it should be fine. If not I throw it in the ocean and start over.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

I was just looking at my WV Platinum and wondering. What if it wasn't one of the best around, didn't a have a pro endorsement and such a small market. I mean it's just some plates of plastic, foam, cheap rivets, velcro and woven straps. If WalMart sold the thing, what would it cost? $20-30, probably.

And how about the +POS plate coat in my closet. Three bills for that thing?! Pa-leeze. I mean it's a quality garment, but JC Penny would sell it $79.

Look, we're a very small, niche market that is forced to overpay for our specialized gear. I just thank my lucky electrons that Al Gore invented the internet so I can get my stuff waaaay cheap.

The picture of the protector looks exactly like the Douglas I sold on eBay for $175. Some umpires will by anything.