The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Who actually administers the DQ? Can the wing just walk up to the player, say, "You're off for the game" or whatever, and write down the player's number? I don't think so. It's the official's judgement as to what happened, but unless things have changed radically, the wing has to explain that to the ref and the ref (or maybe the ump, I'm not up to date on this) actually administers the DQ.

Robert
Yeah, that's pretty much how it happens. I tell the kid he's done for the night and then go in and tell the WH what I have already done so he can give the proper signal to the press box. I then go over to the sideline with the WH and explain to the coach what happened and that I ejected his player.

The referee's role in this is to give the signal. I've called the foul and I've disquailified the player.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22 View Post
To point out again, the way we handle declared kneel downs is NOT by-the-book, but how we have been instructed to handle it, and all teams abide by it (as far as I have ever heard).

It is obviously unfair since they have declared they are giving up the 'right' to advance the ball and just want the clock to run down... Like I said, it is just how it is done here. I was also surprised like Rich when I saw it.
Saying you will take a knee and failing to do so, could be interpreted as an unfair act (under a very broad interpretation of the rules anyway). The easier way? You know those holding calls you don't enforce when they are away from the play? Somehow they become more noticible right now.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

The “stay off the QB when on a knee” comment is smart. Does anyone protect the center? If A intends to take a knee, B could put 11 men over the center and end up knocking him into the QB legally, they do have some rights to disrupt the snap. “Be smart” covers this put is pretty vague. The ideal is the defense plays regularly (one player over the center) and the QB quickly kneels so the defense can let up before they really start. What would you flag if the defense shifted into this dangerous alignment over the center? UC? or Just stop play and tell them not to do this? Nothing, and allow danger to occur? The more you think about the kneel situation the more dangerous you realize it is.

Last edited by hawkishowl20; Fri Sep 26, 2008 at 09:15am.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Recent game, A up 21, they announce their intent to take a knee.

I tell B, "They're taking a knee. IF they actually take a knee, stay off the quarterback." No complaints, no malicious statements or apparent intent on B's part to get revenge. No incident.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

There are few guarantees in life, and one size NEVER fits all. The question could be is it wiser to take some action that helps to minimize danger 99.9% of the time, because it may possibly contribute to that danger 0.01%?

That's a decision we each have to reconcile with.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkishowl20 View Post
The “stay off the QB when on a knee” comment is smart. Does anyone protect the center? If A intends to take a knee, B could put 11 men over the center and end up knocking him into the QB legally, they do have some rights to disrupt the snap. “Be smart” covers this put is pretty vague. The ideal is the defense plays regularly (one player over the center) and the QB quickly kneels so the defense can let up before they really start. What would you flag if the defense shifted into this dangerous alignment over the center? UC? or Just stop play and tell them not to do this? Nothing, and allow danger to occur? The more you think about the kneel situation the more dangerous you realize it is.
You are joking aren't you? 11 men lined up on the center? Dangerous alignment? In my 20 years of officiating I have come across some really kooky and idiotic coaches, but never one that would even imagine something like that. Are you somehow thinking the force of 11 players could all hit the center at once? I apologize for anything negative I may have said to you in that other thread. It is unthinkable that I would have argued with someone that is obviously so mentally challenged. I do commend you for being able to get on the internet and type words. If someone else is doing the typing for you please extend my apology to them as well.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

I remember Marino "Faking the spike", instead throwing for a TD. I was surprised that did not fuel roughing the passer penalties against the defense in games to come to teach Marino a lesson.

The same is true with the QB taking a knee - if you assume they will because they say they will - and they don't, is there - should there - be a penalty assessed?
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
I like that.
Thanks. I was reading a article in an old Sports Illustrated (early 90's). College officials missed some calls at the end of a few games all in one day. So this was basically an article about the officials, and it featured quotes by some. This quote came from a then-Big Ten umpire. I do not remember his name, but I thought it was a good quote and some words to remember.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkishowl20 View Post
Yes, 'be smart' may be vague but it also prevents a situation where the defense is lulled into a sense of false security. As for the 11 defensive players lining up over the center...do they all line up single file right back from the snapper? In terms of protecting this player, if they knock him down on an kneel down, take a shot to the head, etc. it is a foul and potential ejection. The center does not get 'extra' protection on this play--the standard is pretty much the same for all players on this type of play.