The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

We all know, even coaches, that no matter how hard you suck on a whistle you can't bring the tweet back. I'd like to think Honchuli did what any good official would do, own up to a mistake and get the call right (according to rule).

Unfortunately Turner did, what he has done often before, sieze on someone else's mistake to try and rationalize an unfavorable outcome.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I'm quite certain that nobody feels worse than Mr. Hochuli.
His whistle has helped me get past the IW I had on a fumble that has haunted me from two years ago. It can happen even to the best.

Someone needs to ask Turner how many poor play calls Mr. Hochuli made during the game, or how many tackles he missed, or blocks he missed, or passes he failed to complete. Blaming the loss on him is ridiculous.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:18am
In Memoriam

Any comment on Hochuli's position? Iirc the QB rolled to his right and Hochuli was behind the play looking through the QB instead of on the side of the QB's throwing arm. I thought he was completely screened when the ball came loose. He could see the arm motion but not the ball.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc
We all know, even coaches, that no matter how hard you suck on a whistle you can't bring the tweet back. I'd like to think Honchuli did what any good official would do, own up to a mistake and get the call right (according to rule).

Unfortunately Turner did, what he has done often before, sieze on someone else's mistake to try and rationalize an unfavorable outcome.
As with many of these types "things " it is the RULE that needs changing.

We have all made mistakes. The problem is that Official mistakes are GLORIFIED.

What should have happend (and maybe the NFL will change the rule) is that the Charges should have ben awarded the ball EVEN THOUGH Hochuli blew his whistle however, that's not what the CURRENT rule states.

The fact is the Chargers gave up 495 yards of total offense. You do not WIN in the NFL giving up that kind of yardage. The ball was at the 10 which in the NFL is for the most part difficult to score because the end zone is like an extra defender for the defensive backs.

Last week the Charges allowed the Panthers to march down the field at will.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
As with many of these types "things " it is the RULE that needs changing.

We have all made mistakes. The problem is that Official mistakes are GLORIFIED.

What should have happend (and maybe the NFL will change the rule) is that the Charges should have ben awarded the ball EVEN THOUGH Hochuli blew his whistle however, that's not what the CURRENT rule states.
Easy to say -- what happens when 18 of the 22 players stop playing (as they're supposed to) on the inadvertent whistle? Do we just reward the player(s) that ignore the whistle and don't stop?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie
His whistle has helped me get past the IW I had on a fumble that has haunted me from two years ago. It can happen even to the best.
While I agree that this a great lesson for us all, my advice would be that two years is too long to be haunted by a mistake. Remember it, sure (I don't know that I've me the official who doesn't recall his or her IWs - I have two), but there's a statute of limitations on beating yourself up. At some point, you have to say, "You know what? I'm human. That was a bad one, but I'm not going to let that happen again if I can help it at all."

Now, granted, none of us has made a call in front of 75,000 people and a big TV audience that can be looked at as a deciding factor in a game at the highest level and on which coaches' livelihoods may ride. But the concept is the same. You do your best, you own up to it when you kick one. And if you kick too many of them, maybe this isn't for you.

But one moment doesn't define a career (or shouldn't).

I await Mike Pereira's appearance on NFL Network this week. When is that, usually, Wednesday?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 12:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
But one moment doesn't define a career (or shouldn't).

I await Mike Pereira's appearance on NFL Network this week. When is that, usually, Wednesday?
It won't define his career. Rather, 85's career will be defined as one of the best officials ever.

Just follow this thread all season long:

'08 NFLN:TA/Official Review Summaries - Through Week 1
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 01:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

While they certainly got hosed on the missed call, the refs didn't give Denver two scoring passes to the same receiver on consecutive plays. While SD certainly missed out on a recovered fumble, it wasn't a fumble they caused, so they weren't penalized for a great play.

Denver still had to put the ball into the EZ twice.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

If you're like me, aren't you thinking, "Man I'm glad hawkishowl20 doesn't coach the Chargers." ?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 03:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
If you're like me, aren't you thinking, "Man I'm glad hawkishowl20 doesn't coach the Chargers." ?
Be nice to the new guys: we want them to stay!
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Allow me to quote Jerry Seeman, the former NFL Supervisor of Officials...it is something that I have heard Ed H talk about at NASO Conventions....

"Perfection is impossible, excellence is not. Excellence is what you get while striving for perfection."

The only problem apparently is that Ed is not God. He's still the best. The real answer from Turner should have been-- "He told me he blew it--I accept that...I dont like it....but I accept it. Now who the hell do we play next week." Just my opinion.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Any comment on Hochuli's position? Iirc the QB rolled to his right and Hochuli was behind the play looking through the QB instead of on the side of the QB's throwing arm. I thought he was completely screened when the ball came loose. He could see the arm motion but not the ball.

Thoughts?
I guess, technically, it could be called an IW but Ed clearly was signalling incomplete. I agree that he had a bad angle on the play. I don't remember exactly how it developed, but Ed was in a bad position to see what happened with the ball.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

As much as I respect Hochuli, the ball does not fly backward if it was in control when the arm comes forward.
The Charges still blew it. This team reminds me of Air Coryell, can score a bunch a points but can't stop anybody. Very disappointing. Ted Cotrell, your defensive schemes suck.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Hochuli's on-field announcement of the ruling and its inclusion of acknowledgment of his mistake was a first in my book. I was pulling for the Chargers and was railing against the call (with benefit of a few slow motion replays) and was puzzled that there was no remedy but within seconds of Hochuli's announcement I understood things and turned over a game-load of points in respect for a darn good ref.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:59am

I was, of course, livid and screaming at the TV (which is really stupid, I know). But a 5 year-old little girl could plainly see it was a fumble. Not to mention the Chargers getting screwed out of another blown call on the so-called "interception" that never happened, all because the stupid replay equipment wasn't working. That is the one that stopped SD's momentum right off the bat. It totally took them out of their rhythm and put them back on their heels.

As to the Hochuli call, I say the bottom line is; if the fumble had been called properly, the Chargers would have easily run out the clock, and the Donks wouldn't be celebrating their tainted victory. The Chargers were hosed and should be 1 and 1 instead of looking down the barrell at 0 and 2.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25