The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Question for San Diego Steve

Previously, the meaning of a quote that you have begun using in your signature line (if that is what it is called) was questioned by GarthB, as well as me and a couple of other posters. The quote is:

"One of the really wrong theories about officiating is that a good official is one you never notice. The umpire who made that statement was probably a real poor official who tried to get his paycheck and hide behind his partners and stay out of trouble all his life. Control of the ballgame is the difference between umpires that show up for the players and the managers." - National League Umpire Bruce Froemming

The distinction between two groups of umpires that Froemming is making in the conclusory sentence is not clear or is incomplete. This has been bugging me for a couple of days. I know that maintaining control of a ballgame is extremely important for an umpire, and is more important than not being noticed. But what is/are the distinction(s) that he is trying to make? One group of umpires shows up for one thing, and another group shows up for something else. What are those two things? The quote means enough to you that you chose to use it in signing/ending your posts, and I want to see if I am missing something.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotblue?
Previously, the meaning of a quote that you have begun using in your signature line (if that is what it is called) was questioned by GarthB, as well as me and a couple of other posters. The quote is:

"One of the really wrong theories about officiating is that a good official is one you never notice. The umpire who made that statement was probably a real poor official who tried to get his paycheck and hide behind his partners and stay out of trouble all his life. Control of the ballgame is the difference between umpires that show up for the players and the managers." - National League Umpire Bruce Froemming

The distinction between two groups of umpires that Froemming is making in the conclusory sentence is not clear or is incomplete. This has been bugging me for a couple of days. I know that maintaining control of a ballgame is extremely important for an umpire, and is more important than not being noticed. But what is/are the distinction(s) that he is trying to make? One group of umpires shows up for one thing, and another group shows up for something else. What are those two things? The quote means enough to you that you chose to use it in signing/ending your posts, and I want to see if I am missing something.
Well, gotblue?, it isn't my quote, it is Bruce Froemming's quote. I will restate it in my own words, and see if it makes any more sense, as it does seem to be a bit fragmented and unclear.

There is a saying in umpiring, which I too believe is wrong, which says that the sign of a well-umpired game is one in which you don't remember who umpired it. Any umpire who takes charge of a game, and makes his presence known clearly, will attract the attention of knowledgeable baseball people, and thus will be remembered as being a good official.

On the other hand, a poor official tends to just "go through the motions," is afraid to make a tough call that may end up being argued, and otherwise "hiding" on the field, hoping not to stand out in the crowd.

I think that is what Bruce is trying to say. Umpires make their mark by doing their job well, looking and acting professional, and conveying an air of authority on the ballfield. Timid, weak umpires tend to shrink into anonymity, and often appear uncertain in their demeanor, mechanics, timing, judgment, and game management skills.

I didn't realize there were questions about my signature line. Where are these questions located?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

On page 2 of the thread titled, "Most rule calls????"