The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I was able to attend the Boston-Phoenix game last night (free tickets) and have a question about the philosophy of calling the NBA game. I know that some of the folks on this board have had some NBA-type exposure and may be able to comment.

I can remember two specific plays that originated from the trails coverage area, player drives to the basket toward the lead. Ball comes loose and there is no whistle from either the trail or lead, but after a second or so delay, the center makes a call.

To me, this just seems the opposite of what three-man mechanics are there for. I know the NBA does some things differently, but just wondered about the philosophy in this particular situation.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I can't really comment intelligently on the NBA philosophy. (Keep it to yourself, JR!!) One thought that crossed my mind is that in any 3-whistle situation, if 8 or all 10 players are on the far side of the floor, then it's actually a GOOD thing for the C to extend his/her coverage area past the far lane line. Maybe everybody was on that side of the floor and the C had a good look at the back of the play. (Or maybe the bodies had piled up between the ball and the L and T). Just a thought.

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a lot of 3-man experience and absolutely no NBA experience. However, when I was at a 3-man camp this last summer they taught that if everyone was on the far side, to extend your area to the first competitive matchup. They also taught when you (the C) see a foul/violation in those situations that you should hold your whistle for a second and give the official(s) who have the play in their primary an opportunity to make the call...if not, get it right and blow your whistle becuase with all the bodies it is quite possible both were screened.

I did not see the play, but it is possible that is what was happening.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I was able to attend the Boston-Phoenix game last night (free tickets) and have a question about the philosophy of calling the NBA game. I know that some of the folks on this board have had some NBA-type exposure and may be able to comment.

I can remember two specific plays that originated from the trails coverage area, player drives to the basket toward the lead. Ball comes loose and there is no whistle from either the trail or lead, but after a second or so delay, the center makes a call.

To me, this just seems the opposite of what three-man mechanics are there for. I know the NBA does some things differently, but just wondered about the philosophy in this particular situation.
One philosophy in the NBA is to referee your primary, but see everything on the floor. My only guess without seeing the play is that the T and L both had the same angle on the play and couldn't see what happened, so the C came and got it. Also, remember in the NBA, every play and every call is scrutinized, s/he must have seen something that his/her partners didn't and came in late.

My two sense!