The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
unsportsmanlike penalty

can a coach be ejected after receiving his 1st unsportsmanlike penalty? a coach swore at an official, was hit with a 15 yard penalty and ejected immediately. i am not 100% sure that the coach could be ejected on his 1st unsportsmanlike penalty.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 08:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes, anyone can be ejected on the first Unsportsmanlike Fouls if the official deems the act was flagrant. And depending on the judgment of the official, the first time a coach curses at an official and the types of words that are used, and ejection is very possible.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JRutledge]Yes, anyone can be ejected on the first Unsportsmanlike Fouls if the official deems the act was flagrant. And depending on the judgment of the official, the first time a coach curses at an official and the types of words that are used, and ejection is very possible.

Peace[/QUOTE

the coach said "jesus christ" when he was arguing a call with the official. it was not intended directly at the official, it would be different if he called him an "*******" or something along the lines that is directly intended toward you. my fellow official said he used gods name in vein. it probably could of been handled differently. i would like to hear some opinions if this warranted an ejection.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 09:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

[QUOTE=yankeesfan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
the coach said "jesus christ" when he was arguing a call with the official. it was not intended directly at the official, it would be different if he called him an "*******" or something along the lines that is directly intended toward you. my fellow official said he used gods name in vein. it probably could of been handled differently. i would like to hear some opinions if this warranted an ejection.
First of all not every official is going to be offended by someone saying "Jesus Christ" in any way shape or form. I am much more offended by other language than someone yelling a religious reference towards me or anyone else for that matter. I am sure if someone is of another religion, they might not even understand what that even means. Secondly there are terms that someone could use that if you were of a different gender, race, ethnicity might be much more offensive to that person than to someone else that is not have that background. The bottom line is anyone on the football field better be aware that they do not know what everyone's personal judgment is or is not on specific comments. Either way, someone can be ejected if the official feels the comments or actions were flagrant. Most officials will try to not do that, but it can happen.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan
the coach said "jesus christ" when he was arguing a call with the official.
Was it at a Catholic school?
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 11:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
The funny thing about that, the biggest violators I have seen of bad or inappropriate language have been Catholic Schools in my experience in all my sports.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 11:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
The funny thing about that, the biggest violators I have seen of bad or inappropriate language have been Catholic Schools in my experience in all my sports.

Peace
That's because confession isn't out of the way - there is a school confessional.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
no, it was not a catholic school.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Amen to that. And even worse is the language and sportsmanship of other religious schools. Whenever I see the words "christian school" on the assignment sheet, I know I'm usually in for a night of breaking up shoving matches and coaches cussing and complaining from the sidelines. I just can't get over the irony of it.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

I assume you guys are talking NFHS here?

Under NCAA Rules, 9-2-1 Penalty says "Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall be disqualified" so I've always thought that I cannot eject a coach for something he says.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Around here the best behaved kids are from the parochial shcools. I never hear any bad language from them and the coaches will not tolerate any antics.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

[quote=yankeesfan]
Quote:
Yes, anyone can be ejected on the first Unsportsmanlike Fouls if the official deems the act was flagrant. And depending on the judgment of the official, the first time a coach curses at an official and the types of words that are used, and ejection is very possible.

Peace[/QUOTE

Did the official answer yes?

I have always said as long as the coach's language is not abusive or personally directed he gets some latitude.

Coaches are under tremendous pressure at all levels from youth to pro. Some deal with it very well, others just simply vent and sometimes their histronics are a show for the boosters.

I would say just the words "Jesus Christ" alone would not dictate a walk to the bus.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

The bottom line that fortunately/unfortunately way too many coaches just don't seem to consider is that the decision, as to what is or is not flagrant, rests entirely with the Official they happen to be talking to.

Like beauty, "flagrant" is entirely in the eye of the beholder. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Of course, the official has to live with, and possibly answer for, his decision.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Around here the best behaved kids are from the parochial schools.
Yeah, but what about their parents?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Yeah, but what about their parents?
Same thing. Few problems on these games from the kids, the coaches, the parents and the fans.