The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Bagging the Down Marker

Has everyone gave a bean bag to the down operator to mark the line inside the Ten yard line? We have a lot of discussion at our meetings stating it is useless or it's a good mechanic. What are your thoughts and ideas? thanks
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 08:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

For what purpose?
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestod
Has everyone gave a bean bag to the down operator to mark the line inside the Ten yard line? We have a lot of discussion at our meetings stating it is useless or it's a good mechanic. What are your thoughts and ideas? thanks
For more than 10 years, our HL has been instructing the chain crew to 'clip' the goal line before removing the chains. He thought this would be more convenient than carrying a down box bean bag.

JR - the purpose is the same as clipping the chains. If it is first and goal, and the play goes toward the down box so he has to vacate AND we need the previous spot for anything, we can find it again. Since there are no chains, the bean bag is to replace the clipping mechanic. The bean bag works, unless it gets moved as well. Clipping the chain, we should never lose that spot.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 09:32am

Ok, thanks MN. Here in Canada we keep the chains clipped in all situations.

Edit: after reading bison right below this post, I see now what the bean bag is for... we don't do that here.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 02:35pm.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
For more than 10 years, our HL has been instructing the chain crew to 'clip' the goal line before removing the chains. He thought this would be more convenient than carrying a down box bean bag.

JR - the purpose is the same as clipping the chains. If it is first and goal, and the play goes toward the down box so he has to vacate AND we need the previous spot for anything, we can find it again. Since there are no chains, the bean bag is to replace the clipping mechanic. The bean bag works, unless it gets moved as well. Clipping the chain, we should never lose that spot.
Clipping the chain would only tell you where the series started. If the series started at the 7 and it's 2nd and goal the 4, the clipped chain isn't going to help you remember where to spot the ball if the box has to vacate. The same is true anywhere on the field if you are looking for the previous spot. I've heard of this mechanic but we've never used it. It seems like a good idea.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Our mechanics have the clock operator mirroring the down box. If the down box has to vacate due to a play in his area, we have the clock operator to go to.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

I've never understood "clipping the chain" on a series that starts inside the ten and don't know what it accomplishes if the chains then are dropped and only the indicator comes with you. But I'm willing to be educated.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Understand the bag marks the previous spot. But what happens if the bag gets moved during an incomplete pass play? Wouldn't it be better to have the box man 2-yards from the sideline and simply drop the box?
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Our Linesman uses a golf tee inside the 10 and it works fine.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 09:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoy
Our Linesman uses a golf tee inside the 10 and it works fine.
Great idea!
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 10:28pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Great idea!
I'll second.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

OHIO Input

We use the golf tee here in NE ohio as well. I like the idea, I don't recall doing it in "the desert"
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

So explain exactly why you would use a golf tee inside the 10 but not for the entire game. We are just as likely to lose a spot anywhere on the field. Are we only concerned about being accurate in the last 10 yards? I really think that one of the 5 to 8 of us standing near the LOS can remember where we were closely enough. But if you want to do it then by all means do it. A golf tee and sometimes even a bean bag doesn't work so well on turf though.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZump
We use the golf tee here in NE ohio as well. I like the idea, I don't recall doing it in "the desert"
We do? Reading it here was the first I've heard of it, though I'm a rookie.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 02:16pm
Chain of Fools

Seems like I started doing it a year or two ago. I believe it was "recommended" in the mechanics book then.

I tired spray painting a white bag with flourescent orange marker paint but it crumbled off after drying. I located a dozen box of simple child's game bags off an educational supply site. I pulled the yellow ones out for obvious reasons and then distributed the rest to the linesmen in our group. I take a Sharpie marker and write "BOX" on them for added insurance although we are to only use white bean bags in our association.